Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slimdonky1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro that hasn't been used for over a year, that I need to use now because I had to RMA my current laptop. It didn't power on the last time I tried. I just figured the battery was dead from not being used for a while. The charger indicator light would turn on when I plugged it into the laptop, so I thought no big deal. I wanted to replace a fan before using it, so I did that. I didn't run into any problems doing that.

Now, it still will not power on, plus there's no light coming from the indicator when the charger is plugged into the laptop. I don't know if it's just not charging or if there's something else wrong with it. The indicator light on the charger worked before I installed the new fan. Plus, it still gives off a slight vibration and hum when held up to the ear, like it's working. The battery was only a few months old when I stopped using the laptop. It still looks brand new. It's not swollen or anything like that.

I tried resetting the smc, using different HDDs, looking for unattached ribbons and cables, and everything looks like it should. I don't have or know anyone with another charger that is compatible with this Macbook to try that out.

I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I just replaced the left IO board on a 2007 MacBook Pro. It was exhibiting the same symptoms as yours after it "popped" and I smelled the burn.

I also tested with a second charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.