Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lortloaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
so i've had this laptop a while, spends most of its time now acting as the media centre for our tv, but occasionally when travelling it becomes my trusty companion for pottering about and playing a couple games on when theres nothing else to do (heck, it even let me raid in wow when my pc motherboard died a couple months ago!)

i can't remember if yosemite was officially supported by this laptop or not - but it ran it perfectly with it. using gfxcardstatus to switch between integrated/discrete graphics when needed (playing games for example)

now, macos sierra is definitely not supported. however, it also runs just fine with one exception.. the discrete graphics doesn't seem to enable?
trying to manually switch to discrete using gfxcardstatus causes the mouse cursor to move incredibly slowly for a second or two, then disappear. and then the entire laptop is frozen, and the only way to recover is powering it off and on.

now, i don't know how many people out there are still rocking a late 2008 macbook pro, 2010 seems to be the oldest i see frequently, but on the very off chance someone might have a fix or know of a better place to ask, i thought i'd post here!

i'd rather not switch back to yosemite, sierra and siri have made me lazy. if there is absolutely no fix, i'll just bootcamp windows again for the rare times i wanna play a vidya game. it's not a big deal, just a curiosity!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.