Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iimmiinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Late 2009 iMac 27 no hard drive or keyboard / faulty logic board want can i do with it?
can it be my macbook screen?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Target Display Mode only works if to can boot into the OS. So no luck on that unless you can get it to boot.

How is the logic board faulty?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"umm cant boot at all"

Just because you "can't boot" doesn't mean the iMac's logic board is "faulty" -- until you have exhausted OTHER MEANS of booting.

A perfectly good Mac can get into a "no boot" situation if the software (OS) becomes corrupted.

What do you see and hear when you press the power-on button?
Do you see any onscreen display or alert at all?

The easiest way to check this is to try booting from an EXTERNAL drive that has a "known-good" copy of the OS on it.

Does that iMac have a DVD drive?
Were there original install DVD's that shipped with it?

Can you get ahold of a USB flashdrive that has an OS installer on it?

Do you have access to an external drive that has a bootable copy of the OS on it?

I wouldn't write it off until I tried some of the above "alternative boot" scenarios...

iimmiinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
OP wrote:
"umm cant boot at all"

Just because you "can't boot" doesn't mean the iMac's logic board is "faulty" -- until you have exhausted OTHER MEANS of booting.

A perfectly good Mac can get into a "no boot" situation if the software (OS) becomes corrupted.

What do you see and hear when you press the power-on button?
Do you see any onscreen display or alert at all?

The easiest way to check this is to try booting from an EXTERNAL drive that has a "known-good" copy of the OS on it.

Does that iMac have a DVD drive?
Were there original install DVD's that shipped with it?

Can you get ahold of a USB flashdrive that has an OS installer on it?

Do you have access to an external drive that has a bootable copy of the OS on it?

I wouldn't write it off until I tried some of the above "alternative boot" scenarios...

the repair shop told me
noting shows on after I press the power-on button
never try it before booting from an external drive
dont know where is the install DVD lol but i still have the DVD drive with me
i can make a USB with OS installer but never try it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.