Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LucasUren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
Hi,

I Recently acquired a used late 2011 MacBook Pro 13' (820-2936). The unit would only power on when plugged into the ac adapter and no battery was recognized in os x. After doing some research I replaced the battery with a brand new known good one.

The macbook now has the same issue except now os x recognizes that a battery is installed but it is not charging it and no battery data is displayed, only that one is installed. The light on the magsafe adapter stays green the whole time. If I unplug the power adapter when the laptop is booting up, it continues to boot up for a good 30 seconds untill shutting off.

I have used my multi meter to test all ppbus connections including the 3.42V and hot lead. Both are working as they should. I also checked all data resistors for the u7000 and they are all good aswell. I suspect the macbook is not aquiring the battery data, only that there is one installed. I have reset the smc/prams aswell to no avail.

One last thing, the battery meter on the side is non functional and I have opted to just disconnect it to help in troubleshooting. If anybody has any experience with this issue or can lead me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Lucas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.