Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I downloaded Security Update from the Apple Support site. MBP Mid 2012 13" updated firmware version to 425.0.0.0.0 but the iMac is still on a 424.0.0.0.0. I tried running update twice but still no luck. Anybody else is having this issue?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What version of the OS do you have installed?

I'm thinking that if you booted to internet recovery, and then chose to RE-install the OS, it might do the firmware update as a part of the restore...?

avz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
What version of the OS do you have installed?

I'm thinking that if you booted to internet recovery, and then chose to RE-install the OS, it might do the firmware update as a part of the restore...?
Mojave, I also have a Catalina partition to make sure I am getting the latest firmware updates...
Eclecticlight.co website suggests that the firmware for my iMac13,2 should be 425.0.0.0.0 and I am still on 424.0.0.0.0.

Running firmware integrity check:

/usr/libexec/firmwarecheckers/eficheck/eficheck --integrity-check

produces somewhat reassuring result:

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 9.38.01 am.png

So maybe the information on the eclecticlight.co website is not very accurate in this regard?
We might need an experts here to clear this up. I am wondering what is the difference between EFIAllowListShipping and EFIAllowListAll? The title would suggest that is the former relates to the firmware that was shipped with the Mac but I am not sure.

avz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Alright, I managed to find a solution and finally updated my firmware/BOOT ROM.

Now firmware integrity check returns a result that I am happy with:

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 5.59.02 pm.png

The solution was very simple, for some reason my trusty Late 2012 iMac was in desperate need of NVRAM reset. After the NVRAM reset I reinstalled a standalone Security Update and this time it updated the firmware without any issues. In my defense, there were no issues that could have possibly required such an action, nothing manifested the need for the NVRAM reset and technically I could have happily used my iMac with older firmware as you obviously don't have to have the latest one. The main thing, as I established in my previous post by running firmware integrity check, my firmware was not compromised in any way or tampered with.

The lesson learned: you can successfully install the Security Update and if you don't pay attention to such things, miss the fact that your firmware was not updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.