Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2014
I want better performance for video editing and able to run 4K resolution at 60Hz.
I have a late 2012 mac mini (quad core i7 2.3 Ghz)with (my upgrades) 16GB of RAM, 1x 512GB ssd, 1x256GB ssd, both Samsung evo 860 or 850 I don't remember right now.

Money is an issue so I am thinking of selling it and somehow manage to find the remaining money to get probably a new model of Mac Mini. I might try to repair a gaming laptop I have and if I do, sell it too.

The system is in like new condition as I am usually quite careful with my technology stuff.

I know that the last two models (2014 and 2018) support 4K@60, but would I get enough performance boost? I am not talking about 10-20%.

I would ask if I should wait for the next Mac Mini release, but since I doubt anyone knows when it is coming out there is no point.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There isn't going to be another Mini release for a LONG time. Years.

DON'T get a 2014 Mini.

4k?
Get a 2018 Mini i7, with 16gb (or more RAM), and perhaps a 512gb SSD (best value).
Add external storage via USB3 SSD or thunderbolt3 SSD.

Reactions: Synchro3

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
The 2014 can not do 4K @ 60Hz. Only the 2018 Mini can manage that.

I’d get the 2018 model, as I don’t see Apple updating the mini until 2022, or maybe never.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Get a 2018 Mini i7, with 16gb (or more RAM), and perhaps a 512gb SSD (best value).
The i7 8700 isn't enough better than the i5 8500 to justify the cost difference. Remember, the OP said money was an issue.

I own a 2012 Mac Mini, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 gig of Ram (upgraded myself), and a 256 gig Samsung 840 Pro SSD (again installed myself). (I also have 3 external Samsung SSDs, installed inside nice, slim Orico enclosures, and each of them connect to my mini via USB 3.0). The machine actually works real well for me, but most likely, the next version of the Mac OS (OS 10.16) will not run on it. Hence, I am looking to purchase a 2018 Mac Mini:

That machine does easily satisfy my needs, although it does not have as many USB 3 ports as my current one has. But I have an external USB hub, with 6 USB ports, so I should be fine.

I am just wondering 1) how much can I sell my current Mac Mini for (is in excellent condition, and works flawlessly), and 2) if there is a market for it, as the machine is 7 years old.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Have decided to run my 2012 i7/2.6ghz Mini Server into the ground, it still works fine for me with Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro, but I don't need any better than 1080p30. If I needed to work with 4k, it would have been gone long ago. ;)

The time to sell the 2012 quads was before the 2018 Mini was introduced, they were fetching very nice prices back then. Today they don't seem to be very much in demand (understandably). Just for fun, a month or two ago I went through the trade-in screens on Apple's site, and they were offering about $150 for mine, LOL.

I doubt you'll be happy with any of the 2014 Mini's, my 2012 2.6 quad is 50% faster than the top 2014 i7 Mini. The RAM was soldered in 2014 and 16gb i7 models may be hard to find. I have a 2014 2.6ghz/8gb i5 Mini (which is one step down from the top 2014 i7), and am happy with that, got it new for $500 when B&H was blowing them out, but I only use it as an iTunes server.

The time to sell the 2012 quads was before the 2018 Mini was introduced, they were fetching very nice prices back then. Today they don't seem to be very much in demand (understandably). Just for fun, a month or two ago I went through the trade-in screens on Apple's site, and they were offering about $150 for mine, LOL.
Via a google search for "How much can I sell my late 2012 Mac Mini for?", the following "hits" came up:

In choosing 4 of those links, the prices ranged from $160 to $240, so an average of $200. I would first try and sell it locally for about $220 to $240.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Hardly seems worth the effort for two hundred bucks... that won't make much of a dent in the cost of a 2018 Mini. ;)

And just think... a year and a half ago they were going for as much as $1000 IIRC. But, like I said, I'm keeping mine.

Reactions: mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
IMHO - it is worth more as a back up? - test device?

$200 is not worth the effort / ROI to sell it and sounds like it still does the job - so why not keep as a back up ?

IMHO - it is worth more as a back up? - test device?

$200 is not worth the effort / ROI to sell it and sounds like it still does the job - so why not keep as a back up ?
If I were to stay on Catalina, then yes, it could be used as a test device (or just continue to use it). But when the next Mac OS comes out, I will want to upgrade to it, and thus the late 2012 Mac Mini would not function for testing that new OS.

As it is, I am currently using an external Samsung 500 gig 860 EVO SSD for testing Catalina, and that works well. So a year from now, assuming I have the 2018 Mac Mi i I want, I could use that same device for testing that same Mac OS.

While $200 might not sound like a lot, at least it's something. Plus, I would not need that 2012 Mac Mini cluttering up my place.

As it is, I will try and sell it locally for a higher amount first, like $400. One never knows what it could fetch. And that $200 is from those places that offer to buy your Mac. In most cases, one can get more by selling it themselves.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2014
Checking Ebay, all the late 2012 minis for sale at low prices (under 400) were NOT late 2012 models. But earlier. They claim they are, but when you check the detailed specs/details you see they are not.
At least those that I happened to check.
I am not saying an actual late 2012 will get much money, just what I noticed when I checked ebay.

My problem with the 2018 models, the top end that is, is that they overheat very easily when doing anything intensive. Then of course the lack of dedicated gpu which doesn't help in performance in FCP, is an issue too.
I don't know...

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
If Apple (or Best Buy) will give you $150, that seems a lot easier than dealing with selling (assuming that the street price is actually around $200). But I agree, it's worth keeping at that price. Pull the SSD and use it for something. Or maybe you have a friend or family member who would really like to find a 2012 quad Mini under their christmas tree? I generally have "gifted" my old computers to friends and family. :)

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

I bought a late 2009 (base model) recently as a browsing box. I noticed that the i7 iterations (plus SSD) regularly hit £300+ on eBay. Time your sale right and you should get a lot more than you think. Apple never gives anything approaching market rate on trade in.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I bought a late 2009 (base model) recently as a browsing box. I noticed that the i7 iterations (plus SSD) regularly hit £300+ on eBay. Time your sale right and you should get a lot more than you think. Apple never gives anything approaching market rate on trade in.

I have a 2010 Mini with 480GB Crucial SSD and 16GB of RAM. It can handle Logic Pro X pretty decently at 44.1KHz with buffer of 256 samples. Without virtual instruments and plugins, it can go a bit further on latency and sample rate. I've just ordered a 2012 quad for a more comfortable Logic Pro X experience and processing some GoPro videos on Final Cut. I don't like the lack of a line input on the 2018 Mini. I have a good Apogee Thunderbolt interface, but the possibility of just plugging a cheap mixer to start recording is pretty nice.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
DON'T get a 2014 Mini.
I got one. Hooked it up to SSD. Performance is not shabby with two 1920 X 1080 monitors. Once in a blue moon I get static on 2' display upon wakeup. It fixes itself. Other than that, no hardware problems beyond the usual "your USB3 cable is too close to your Bluetooth" At 5 years old, it's looking like it's good for another 5.(Earliest I still use is a 2005 mini on 10.4.11 - that's still running like a champ on a 1st gen firewire drive. I can run System 9 apps -original Spaceward Ho!) From what I've heard, 2018 is way overpriced for what you get. I can wait another 4 years if needed. I'll stick with High Sierra, but Apple hasn't done anything to wow me since Yosemite. With the computer market in as much flux as it is, due to the rise of cell phones, this is a good time to wait, and see if Apple gets its head wrapped around devoting enough resources to Mac again. It's not as if there's been any new "must have" or "Killer" Apps these past several years anyway. If you need the newest OS, you'll have to update your machine. If not, do what incremental stuff you can and wait. I expect 2022 or so will be the start of a very different world for those of us who like/need desktops. The companies will have had time to get used to the new hardware situation, and move resources appropriately. Right now, Apple can't even get iOS right.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I got one. Hooked it up to SSD. Performance is not shabby with two 1920 X 1080 monitors. Once in a blue moon I get static on 2' display upon wakeup. It fixes itself. Other than that, no hardware problems beyond the usual "your USB3 cable is too close to your Bluetooth" At 5 years old, it's looking like it's good for another 5.(Earliest I still use is a 2005 mini on 10.4.11 - that's still running like a champ on a 1st gen firewire drive. I can run System 9 apps -original Spaceward Ho!) From what I've heard, 2018 is way overpriced for what you get. I can wait another 4 years if needed. I'll stick with High Sierra, but Apple hasn't done anything to wow me since Yosemite. With the computer market in as much flux as it is, due to the rise of cell phones, this is a good time to wait, and see if Apple gets its head wrapped around devoting enough resources to Mac again. It's not as if there's been any new "must have" or "Killer" Apps these past several years anyway. If you need the newest OS, you'll have to update your machine. If not, do what incremental stuff you can and wait. I expect 2022 or so will be the start of a very different world for those of us who like/need desktops. The companies will have had time to get used to the new hardware situation, and move resources appropriately. Right now, Apple can't even get iOS right.

The problem with 2014 Minis is the soldered RAM (and I think there wasn't a custom 16GB option). My wife has a 2015 Macbook Air. Pretty nice machine overall, I've even installed a 512GB NVMe on it that works nicely (this Mac doesn't have the sleep issues that affected older MBAs), but with just 4GB it's merely a browsing computer. With more RAM it could handle Final Cut and Logic Pro pretty well.

I still hope someday we'll be able to circumvent Mac memory restrictions, i.e., being able to de-solder/solder new RAM modules.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikzn and Partron22

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
The problem with 2014 Minis is the soldered RAM (and I think there wasn't a custom 16GB option).

There definitely was a 16gb option for the 2014 Mini, I almost bought the top-spec i7 model back in 2015 - B&H Photo had them in stock. Ended up getting a used 2012 quad though, because it was 50% faster than the top 2014 Mini and also cheaper. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.