Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2014
No mods, special patches etc. Just normal Apple stuff. What's the latest FCPX I can run on it and of course OS.
It has i7, the 2.3GHz one, 16GB of RAM, two SSDs (I installed them).

Also, and I realize this is probably a harder question, having in mind my previous question, any idea if this officially supported version can edit and render vertical 4K video?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Catalina is the newest version of MacOS supported on the 2012 Mini. I have one like yours (but with the 2.6ghz CPU). I used it with Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro pretty heavily for a number of years, although I only worked in 1080p. It has now been retired as a file server however and I use a 2018 Mini for video and other things.

But unless you already own a version of FCP that is compatible with Catalina, I don't think you can still purchase one from the app store... can you? I just went there on my 2012 Mini with Catalina and it says MacOS 11.5.1 is required.

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.42.25 AM.png

Reactions: Trusteft

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2014
Catalina is the newest version of MacOS supported on the 2012 Mini. I have one like yours (but with the 2.6ghz CPU). I used it with Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro pretty heavily for a number of years, although I only worked in 1080p. It has now been retired as a file server however and I use a 2018 Mini for video and other things.

But unless you already own a version of FCP that is compatible with Catalina, I don't think you can still purchase one from the app store... can you? I just went there on my 2012 Mini with Catalina and it says MacOS 11.5.1 is required.

View attachment 2046582
Thank you.
I already have FCP, no idea which version. I don't even remember which version of OS I have on it. Last time I used it was in 2016? I don't remember. I remember a new version of FCP came out that used some extra things, which caused it to be slower than previous version of FCP.
It's going to be a pain to get the Mini here, that's why I am looking to the answers I asked so that I only get it back if it does work for the job I need it.
To answer yours, yes I already have FCP installed, just don't remember version. 2016, 2017? No later than 2018.

Any idea (anyone) if it will allow vertical 4K video editing and rendering/exporting? I don't need it for professional video editing, but I am sick of paying monthly rent to the one I am using now (Windows based) just to edit these 4K vertical videos. Plus I am now officially poor so can't either.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Just checked.... I am running Final Cut Pro version 10.4.8 under Catalina on my 2018 Mini. Used to do quite a lot of video, but not anymore. According to this, the newest version that runs on Catalina is 10.5.4 from November 2020.

It wasn't too fast, but I was happy with FCP on my 2012 Mini at the time. But I wasn't working with 4k video and suspect that might be pushing a 10 year old Mini pretty hard.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2014
Just checked.... I am running Final Cut Pro version 10.4.8 under Catalina on my 2018 Mini. Used to do quite a lot of video, but not anymore. According to this, the newest version that runs on Catalina is 10.5.4 from November 2020.

It wasn't too fast, but I was happy with FCP on my 2012 Mini at the time. But I wasn't working with 4k video and suspect that might be pushing a 10 year old Mini pretty hard.
Thank you for checking.
Speed isn't of an issue. I need it for simple cuts for the vertical 4K videos. I know it was able to edit proper 4K videos, but I wonder if there is a limitation for the resolution in vertical. I know of other video editing software which said they supported 4K, but didn't support it in vertical, so you had to have the video in 3840x2160 or lower. I need it to support 2160x3840. I am trying to find the info on google, but for the life of me I can't find any result which lists supported resolutions for FCPX.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Just looked and it does not offer portrait 4k as a preset option for project format, however that doesn't mean it wouldn't work. Seems to me that it would work, but I really don't know. I have moved this thread to the digital video forum, you are more likely to get some responses there.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2014
Just looked and it does not offer portrait 4k as a preset option for project format, however that doesn't mean it wouldn't work. Seems to me that it would work, but I really don't know. I have moved this thread to the digital video forum, you are more likely to get some responses there.
Ok, thank you for your effort.

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.