Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coselmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2023
Hello everyone.
Since I replaced the processor and thus the conductive paste in my 2013 Mac Pro, I decided to do the same (just change the paste of course) in the late 2012 mini. Traditionally, the process has been trouble-free, but... the Macmini overheats and the operating temperatures reach 86 degrees without load. And it doesn't matter if it's Catalina or patched with OCLP Monterey. It is the same. I changed the paste twice - I used Noctua NT-H1, if that makes a difference. I have no idea what went wrong... Did I damage the heatsink? Any ideas? I have replaced everything possible in this computer. Memory, added a second hard drive, fought the USB3.0 problem and BT interference through it and it has always worked normally.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Hello everyone.
Since I replaced the processor and thus the conductive paste in my 2013 Mac Pro, I decided to do the same (just change the paste of course) in the late 2012 mini. Traditionally, the process has been trouble-free, but... the Macmini overheats and the operating temperatures reach 86 degrees without load. And it doesn't matter if it's Catalina or patched with OCLP Monterey. It is the same. I changed the paste twice - I used Noctua NT-H1, if that makes a difference. I have no idea what went wrong... Did I damage the heatsink? Any ideas? I have replaced everything possible in this computer. Memory, added a second hard drive, fought the USB3.0 problem and BT interference through it and it has always worked normally.
Well, just as a troubleshooting not specific to this computer the first thing I would check would be is the fan coming on. Perhaps you damaged the connection or forgot to plug it in.

Reactions: Coselmann

Coselmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2023
The fan works normally. I'm using IstatMenus and to cool the processor I set the speed to 5000 rpm, which makes it sound like a jet taking off compared to the rest of my Apple toys (MacPro6.1, MacBook7.1)

knightwrangler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Canada
I just acquired a late 2012 Mac mini and because of it's age I decided to open it up and clean the internals.
In doing so I found the original paste needed replacing and the fan was dirty so I took the fan apart and cleaned the blades and the processor and re did it using Arctic 5 thermal paste but
since doing so, I'm having the same issue-temperature seems to ramp up very quickly after a cold boot up not sure why and how to fix?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I just acquired a late 2012 Mac mini and because of it's age I decided to open it up and clean the internals.
In doing so I found the original paste needed replacing and the fan was dirty so I took the fan apart and cleaned the blades and the processor and re did it using Arctic 5 thermal paste but
since doing so, I'm having the same issue-temperature seems to ramp up very quickly after a cold boot up not sure why and how to fix?
is the fan definitely working?

mwidjaya

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Australia

I have never replaced the factory paste on 2012 mini and here is the temp. on low load (around 60 C).

It has always been on the "hot" side, I find. What temp. are you seeing?

mini on low load.png

knightwrangler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Canada
I have never replaced the factory paste on 2012 mini and here is the temp. on low load (around 60 C).

View attachment 2186102
I just read the last two posts and downloaded the fan control to my Mac mini it's been running for about 10 minutes from a cold boot up and took a screen shot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 10.32.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 10.32.30 AM.png
    169.4 KB · Views: 78

Coselmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2023
Thank you for all your posts my dear friends. Today a small update.
The fan is working without a doubt, it is cleaned, no howling etc. I changed the paste concept to Thermal Grizzly - Carbon Thermal Pad Carbonaut and only the platform controller hub required its double use because there is a large gap between it and the heatsink even when everything is tightly screwed together. I decided to manage the temperatures via TG Pro. I set the program to run automatically. The reason I have a problem with these temperatures is that my base MacPro6.1 does not practically exceed 50 degrees during normal operation oscillating between 44-48 degrees hence my shock when I see the Macmini6.2 on its temperatures. At the moment it looks like this in the screenshots.
I am preparing to replace the paste on a MacBook7.1 which I use practically every day away from home. The MB runs at an average of 70 degrees and I think it's even due a cleaning after these several years.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 13.05.11.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 13.05.11.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 13.05.44.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 13.05.44.png
    190 KB · Views: 63

knightwrangler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Canada

View attachment 2186102
I meant to reply your post earlier, I started to seeing the temperature going up to 100 degrees last week.
This was during a time I decided to transfer music files from my iPod to iTunes, my ram was also running out which I thought was strange for just doing this one task. Later on, while just watching a Youtube video via Brave browser it also almost hit 100 degrees! I am very concerned as I would like to use this mini strictly as a media server running 24-7.

Coselmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2023
I meant to reply your post earlier, I started to seeing the temperature going up to 100 degrees last week.
This was during a time I decided to transfer music files from my iPod to iTunes, my ram was also running out which I thought was strange for just doing this one task. Later on, while just watching a Youtube video via Brave browser it also almost hit 100 degrees! I am very concerned as I would like to use this mini strictly as a media server running 24-7.
This is indeed strange. In my case, the overload problem mainly and only affected the CPU at high values. It was putting a lot of strain on the system by a process probably SECD I think responsible for iCloud Keychain and after disabling keychain in iCloud everything sort of calmed down. It's relatively quiet for now. Temperatures oscillate between 50-70 max, tg pro keeps an eye on temperatures. Your problem is probably purely a system problem. I think with me experimenting with OCLP and changing paste but I don't know quite. All this joy of being able to run newer systems on older Macs is a bit artificial because the components can't withstand the demands of the software. I think so. At the moment I have 3 computers on Monterey and one on El Capitan (iMac8.1). I'll give El Capitan a try after I replace the processor with a more powerful one. So far it's working.
It seems to me that even "light" browsers are drawing processors because this "lightness" has to match the newer components. I tried M-Edge and it also took exactly as much as Chrome or Safari. Mini is now in "server" mode and runs 24/7. I use Screens4 because the interface suits me, unlike RealVNC. On 'visits' my temperature set looks like this:

Still going back to the problems with my Mac mini is that I cannot do AHT with this computer. And this is something I am completely unable to solve.

I have replaced the thermal paste and keyboard (donor is A1278) in macbook7.1 and impressions are similar. Only the temperature management software calms me down. I am not an expert. I'm a "performer" but I like to play with those rubbish ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 18.39.43.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 18.39.43.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Remember it can take many hours before temps will settle down whenever you change the thermal paste. Especially Arctic Silver 5 because of the small amount needed and get into the microgrooves on the die to heatsink heat transfer.

Coselmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2023
Remember it can take many hours before temps will settle down whenever you change the thermal paste. Especially Arctic Silver 5 because of the small amount needed and get into the microgrooves on the die to heatsink heat transfer.
Oh thank you so much for this information :) I didn't know that. I've been using Noctua NT-H1 for the MacBook and Thermal Grizzly - Carbon Thermal Pad Carbonaut for the MacMini, but nothing will change here as it's a permanent form of thermal conductor.

mwidjaya

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Australia
Later on, while just watching a Youtube video via Brave browser it also almost hit 100 degrees! I am very concerned as I would like to use this mini strictly as a media server running 24-7.

I wouldn't be too concerned about reaching 100 C.

Mine does that for sure if I have a heavy process running (for eg handbrake transcoding). It can run at that temp for hours with no harm.

Coselmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2023
Yes it is somehow an obsession with keeping those temperatures low. However, sitting next to a howling mini is a bit annoying :)

knightwrangler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Canada
is the fan definitely working?
This is indeed strange. In my case, the overload problem mainly and only affected the CPU at high values. It was putting a lot of strain on the system by a process probably SECD I think responsible for iCloud Keychain and after disabling keychain in iCloud everything sort of calmed down. It's relatively quiet for now. Temperatures oscillate between 50-70 max, tg pro keeps an eye on temperatures. Your problem is probably purely a system problem. I think with me experimenting with OCLP and changing paste but I don't know quite. All this joy of being able to run newer systems on older Macs is a bit artificial because the components can't withstand the demands of the software. I think so. At the moment I have 3 computers on Monterey and one on El Capitan (iMac8.1). I'll give El Capitan a try after I replace the processor with a more powerful one. So far it's working.
It seems to me that even "light" browsers are drawing processors because this "lightness" has to match the newer components. I tried M-Edge and it also took exactly as much as Chrome or Safari. Mini is now in "server" mode and runs 24/7. I use Screens4 because the interface suits me, unlike RealVNC. On 'visits' my temperature set looks like this:

Still going back to the problems with my Mac mini is that I cannot do AHT with this computer. And this is something I am completely unable to solve.

I have replaced the thermal paste and keyboard (donor is A1278) in macbook7.1 and impressions are similar. Only the temperature management software calms me down. I am not an expert. I'm a "performer" but I like to play with those rubbish ;)
I did some more investigating on my Mac mini and wanted to post a follow up on my high temperature issue and my solution.
I realized shortly after I posted that screenshot in post #9 (above) which showed zero rpm with the mini operating for sometime, I assumed that the fan had quit working and would need a replacement.
Once I opened the mini and took the fan off, and to be sure I decided to reseat the fan's connection to the motherboard, I thought the connection was secure but as it turns out it was not and once I did this and operated the mini again, you can see using Mac fan control from this newer screenshot there is now a constant rpm value.
Everything is fine now although the mini still gets quite warm and sometimes hits 70+ degrees, at least I can adjust the fan using the software so it is far better temperature than before.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 10.45.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 10.45.59 AM.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 58

Coselmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2023
I changed the thermal paste to Carbonaut clothes plus TG PRO and it is acceptable. But this is screenshot shortly after idle mode with one safari window on YouTube. Maximum temperature is also near 70 degrees.

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2023-04-23 o 18.28.22.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2023-04-23 o 18.28.22.png
    252.6 KB · Views: 60

August West

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment
My late 2012 CPU averaged around 60° C for all of its 10+ year life while just surfing/email and it was going strong when I retired it. If doing something intensive it would get to 80-90° C and occasionally I'd see 100° C. The only time I'd see temps around 50° C was right after I woke it up from sleep. The temps seemed high to me but apparently didn't matter since it ran great for over 10 years.

fricotin

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico
My late 2012 CPU averaged around 60° C for all of its 10+ year life while just surfing/email and it was going strong when I retired it. If doing something intensive it would get to 80-90° C and occasionally I'd see 100° C. The only time I'd see temps around 50° C was right after I woke it up from sleep. The temps seemed high to me but apparently didn't matter since it ran great for over 10 years.
Mine runs at around 60-65° C when heavy surfing, sometimes 38° C when waking up, 90-95 when watching 4K videos on Youtube with the Brave browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.