Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaumi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Hello, I am using late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 13, 2.6 GHz, i5, 8gb ddr, Intel Iris 1536mb, 512 SSD, running on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (the latest). The cycles of my battery are 980. And up until now the battery condition was "service battery". It lasted for couple of hours without being plugged in. But yesterday the condition went to "replace now". After that my laptop became unbearably slow. Apps load slowly, when writing text appears after couple of seconds, tabs in safary take a lot time to load. Booting takes a lot time too. I don't mind using my laptop only plugged in for now. I've read that "replace now" battery condition could slow down the laptop. Is there a way to dismiss this with software, so that it's fast again? I have tried SMC reset (although I am not sure it worked, because the lamp of the charger didn't change.) I am unable to change my battery now, because I need my laptop for work. Any suggestions?

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Any suggestions?
The easiest one is getting a battery replacement.

There is another option but it is at your own risk. The whole slowdown happens due to the battery being dead or missing, so the MBP, even on a power source, will down clock itself to ensure that it will not draw more power then it was able to provide (intel SpeedStep). This is aggressive but helps ensuring no spikes will make the MBP lose power.
Here is an old fix for it, and I can not stress enough that this is on your own risk and you will be better off getting a new battery if you need the Mac for work.
http://www.rdoxenham.com/?p=259

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.