Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HansumKingtut

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Virginia, USA
Disclaimer: Let me first start by saying that I totally understand that benchmarks do not translate to real world performance. Secondly I understand that CPU Performance for Intel has basically Plateaued as Intel has started to focus on efficiency rather then performance. Also, as a note, I was running quite a few apps in the background on my Late-2013 MacBook Pro, Including: Twitter, Deliveries, Photos, iTunes, Safari, Messages, Mail, Feedback, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, and Maps.

I was and am extremely interested in getting a new fully loaded Late-2016 15" MacBook Pro with touch bar. Especially now that my Late-2013 MacBook Pro's Apple Care + has run out. As a photographer and videographer, the new display as well as the 2TB Hard Drive, and Improved graphics are of great interest to me. However the pricing of these new computers is really hard to justify upgrading, especially when my computer is holding up so well.

With all that being said, I downloaded GeekBench 4 and ran some tests. And came out with some interesting results. In terms of CPU Performance there is almost no difference at all, In fact I was surprised, looking at the break down of multi-core and single-core performance where my Late-2013 MacBook Pro beat the new Skylake in a couple of aspects, including Memory performance.

There was no surprise with the new dGPU being significantly more powerful then my late-2013 Nvidia 750m. However, I was shocked to see that in 3 years my Intel Iris Pro iGPU destroyed the newer Intel 530 iGPU. I mean I understand that the 530 is basically bottom of the barrel, but wow.

After looking at this, I may wait until Kaby Lake, assuming they update next year. Kaby Lake + (Hopefully) Intel Iris Pro + 32GB of Ram + (Possibly) Optane/3DXpoint SSD = something worth waiting for, even if the price stays the same.

Overall CPU Performance Intel I7-6920HQ vs I7-4960HQ (EDIT: Just realized I put the benchmark with the I7-6820HQ instead of I7-6920HQ, however the story is still very much the same):
Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 9.39.33 AM.png
Winner goes to the Late-2016, but not by much.

Heres a break down of Single-Core Performance:
Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 9.40.52 AM.png

Heres a break down of Multi-Core Performance:
Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 9.41.05 AM.png

Compute AMD Radeon Pro 460 vs Nvidia 750m:
Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 9.39.17 AM.png
The clear winner in the dGPU Department is the Late-2016's AMD Radeon Pro 460.

Compute Intel 530 vs Intel Iris Pro:
Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 9.39.00 AM.png
The clear winner here is my Late-2013 Intel Iris Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: No. 44

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011
the late-2013 is still a great machine for me and these statistics in part will reflect real world usage. Particularly if your late 2013 is well maintained in terms of the OS. A fresh install always makes it feel brand new as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.