Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GlynH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Hi there, I keep my Trashcan running on Monterey even though I don't use it very much mainly just to keep it up to date.

So today when I installed a couple of Affinity Pro app updates from the Apple App store along with Photoshop from Adobe CC a short time later I also got notified that I could restart to update the machine itself. Strange as I never noticed any other updates than those mentioned.

I duly rebooted, and on restart I got the black screen with Apple logo and the single horizontal progress bar running underneath it as I have seen many times before.

Then it disappeared and went through the loop again. And again. And possibly again I can't be sure.

So that was 3 or 4 times it went through the procedure before it booted back to the desktop.

I wasn't notified of any current or pending Apple updates so does anybody know what was just updated please?

It wasn't that long ago I was using it where it took an update or two for it to be up to date but it is a little worrying that it decided to update itself today going through 3 or maybe even 4 reboots without indicating what might have been updated in the process.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

GlynH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Yup...that must have been it. Thanks Alex.

I never expected Apple to still be issuing this type of update for the 6,1 and I didn't see any notification telling me it was going to do this particular update either.

I had assumed that as I already had 474.0.0.0 earlier this year that it was the latest update but after your reply I searched & read the 6,1 BootROM post and noticed you referenced 478.0.0.0 in your recent post here dated Oct 26

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I never expected Apple to still be issuing this type of update for the 6,1 and I didn't see any notification telling me it was going to do this particular update either.

Newer Macs BootROM updates are not notified to the user, it's not a sucatalog standard update, this type of updates just happen automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.