Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Fwiw, seems like the binary release for 2.53.15 no longer works on Mavericks, it exits with

` dyld: Symbol not found: ___NSDictionary0__`

I highly suspect that this is just because they built it targeting a newer OS version though, if someone were to just recompile the code with a lower deployment target I suspect things would work.

Someone with a powerful machine want to try building it? The steps seem pretty simple https://www.seamonkey-project.org/dev/code-development

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
These seem to be the two relevant commits

The change that motivated bumping to 10.12 was that `clock_gettime` and such are not available on < 10.12. This is easily polyfilled though, see macports legacysupport.

Once that is done, building with the older SDK should work.

Interestingly they still seem to target 10.9 as min though, https://gitlab.com/seamonkey-projec...mmit/1262c05bfa42fb479cdc61c14da8c3406397d77a so I don't quite understand what's happening.. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple just never bothers testing newer sdks with old target mins though.

In fact, compared to chromium or newer firefox, the fact that seamonkey uses the old XUL and is unlikely to ever have any major GUI changes is a point of stability, since it means that it will likely not ever try to make use of new cocoa APIs. (The fact that all this time it has been built with 10.11 SDK and yet works perfectly fine with 10.9 is a testament to that)

Someone with spare CPU cycles please try the build? (Compared to building chromium this seems a lot more straightforward). Would be good if we could get an alternative to chromium-legacy.

CC: @Wowfunhappy maybe a project if you're bored and have cpu cycles to waste...

Last edited:
Reactions: mortlocli

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
These seem to be the two relevant commits

The change that motivated bumping to 10.12 was that `clock_gettime` and such are not available on < 10.12. This is easily polyfilled though, see macports legacysupport.

Once that is done, building with the older SDK should work.

Interestingly they still seem to target 10.9 as min though, https://gitlab.com/seamonkey-projec...mmit/1262c05bfa42fb479cdc61c14da8c3406397d77a so I don't quite understand what's happening.. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple just never bothers testing newer sdks with old target mins though.

In fact, compared to chromium or newer firefox, the fact that seamonkey uses the old XUL and is unlikely to ever have any major GUI changes is a point of stability, since it means that it will likely not ever try to make use of new cocoa APIs. (The fact that all this time it has been built with 10.11 SDK and yet works perfectly fine with 10.9 is a testament to that)

Someone with spare CPU cycles please try the build? (Compared to building chromium this seems a lot more straightforward). Would be good if we could get an alternative to chromium-legacy.

CC: @Wowfunhappy maybe a project if you're bored and have cpu cycles to waste...
hey - thanks for the reminder...I ran into these probs too ..and meant to get back to see if it was only me, if any solutions had appeared

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
oh..so issues are still there with the Released January 20, 2023 update, then f54da...ratz!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.