Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbmx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
I recently installed the 1.1 firmware that corrected the errors when booting into bootcamp. It initially resolved the problem of having to shut down between switching between windows and osx, however, it has returned. Should I try running the firmware again? The other odd piece is that OSX isn't remembering the date or saving history in Firefox etc. Any thoughts would be great...

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Hi there, to help other members of MR diagnose your problem, please include detailed specifications for your computer.

What model is it? (line, ram, cpu, etc) assuming Mac Pro
What system? (ex: 10.4.8) assuming 10.4.8

Which version of Windows are you trying to use? assuming XP SP2

I don't really understand your problem either..What happens when you shutdown/restart? I've read some other threads with users that are having problems with the date in OS X. The Firefox problem is unrelated and probably has something to do with your FF preferences.

My friends with a MP is constantly complaining about the bug that makes it impossible to hold option and boot from the Boot Camp partition at startup. Where you have to open up System Preferences or the Control Panel and coose the startup disk in one of the OS's. Is that the problem?

tbmx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
Sorry, I probably should have been more detailed from the get go.

2x2.66 ghz
3 gig ram (2x512 and 2x1 gig)

Bootcamp latest version and XP SP2

You are also correct in that the issue is using the option key to select startup discs is not working unless I turn the machine fully off and back on, in which case it will work just fine. I assume your friend hasn't found a solution?

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Unfortunately, he hasn't. I'm not sure if this problem affects all Mac Pros or only small number of them. It does seem to be related to the firmware. There may be a fix, but a quick search of MR, Google, and Apple discussions hasn't turned up much. There may be a fix, someone with an MP might wander into this thread and tell you how to enable your option key.

If I come across anything I'll come back and post it.

TMF

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2005
Grenoble, France
No problem for me

I own a Mac pro of the same model as the OP, and have yet to encounter a situation where the computer is not responsive to the option key at startup, even on a "hot" reboot.

Since my Tiger install is on a raided array, i cannot use the startup disk item under windows to change my startup disk (the raid array does not appear). Because of that, i have elected to keep my startup disk set on mac os, and use option to boot from the boot camp partition when needed.

However, I have found the window of time during which the computer responds to a keyboard action very small, maybe 3/4 seconds at best. This occurs right after the fans spin up.

I still occasionnaly miss it when intending to start windows, and I find it pretty annoying to wait until the os has loaded, then having to shut it down merely to try again.

Regarding the time/date issue, I think this has to do with the the way each system handles the hardware clock: Tiger sets it to GMT and then displays time according to your timezone setting, when windows simply insists on setting the hardware clock to the local timezone.

tbmx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
Thanks for the insight. The problem is actually that when I hold the option key it is unresponsive and hard freezes, forcing me to hold the power key and shut down the machine. I'm still toying with some things and will post back if I get it figured out somehow.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Thanks for the insight. The problem is actually that when I hold the option key it is unresponsive and hard freezes, forcing me to hold the power key and shut down the machine. I'm still toying with some things and will post back if I get it figured out somehow.

I wonder if it's having difficulty probing some of your devices to see if they can be booted. Do you have an USB/Firewire drives attached? Are there any non boot internal drives you could remove temporarily to see if it resolves the problem?

theblotted

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
I still occasionnaly miss it when intending to start windows, and I find it pretty annoying to wait until the os has loaded, then having to shut it down merely to try again.

no need to shut down and try option-key again. just go to System Preferences in OSX and choose Windows as your main booting OS.

after you're done in Windows, do the same in Control Panel.

-------------------

i have a related problem with my MP, in that i actually get the light-gray screen at bootup, and it doesn't proceed further. the only way is to hard-restart, and hold down the option-key. then it'll show me either OSX or Windows, and i boot in.

it happens at times but not all the time. would love to hear a fix on this. i did the usual: repair permissions/disk, fsck, reset PRAM, bless OSX, etc.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Just a note to you guys, my friend solved all issues on his MP by doing an archive and install. I thought it was a long shot and told him it wouldn't work, but alas, all problems (his machine had loads of 'em) disappeared. Now the machine runs flawlessly just like it should.

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
I had the issue of the option key not working all the time with the bootcamp menu.

Reset P-RAM, and has worked fine ever since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.