Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hanzo305

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Hey guys, my current phone broke so I dug out my iPhone 5 iOS 10.3.4 while I fix it.
I was wondering how I can get a later update on it. I'm willing to jailbreak if I can reach iOS 11,12 maybe?
Thank you for your tips!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Even if you could, iOS 11 will still suck (because iOS 12 sucks royally).
The iPhone 5 is good as a remote control for other devices if you’ve got the app, messaging and email but it will always be pretty much useless on the web.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No jailbreak has ever allowed an unsupported version of iOS to run on a device. It does not work that way.

And…iOS 9.1 was the LAST fully untethered jailbreak. Everything from that point on is semi-untethered. The device does not remain jailbroken until you use an app to rejailbreak it after booting. So, even if you could get an unsupported version of iOS on it via a jailbreak, when you reboot it would break.

The era of persistent jailbreaks (meaning the device remains jailbroken during boot) died in late 2015.

Hanzo305

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Thank your for your replies, I'm just trying to render this old one into dark mode and be able to download some unsupported apps.

Hanzo305

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Another option I thought of is switing the apple iOS to Android IOS, which would open all doors to navigating freely.

Any ideas how this could be done?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank your for your replies, I'm just trying to render this old one into dark mode and be able to download some unsupported apps.
I believe Eclipse 4 works on iOS 10. That'll give you system wide dark mode and you can customize it. You'll need to jailbreak first of course. There may be others out there.

I used Eclipse for quite a few years.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Another option I thought of is switing the apple iOS to Android IOS, which would open all doors to navigating freely.

As stated earlier, you can't run an unsupported version of iOS even using a jailbreak. Again, not how it works. And if you can't get an unsupported version of iOS on there, then you also cannot get Android on there.

There used to be some really old tweaks that allowed you to 'install' Android in what we'd now call a Virtual Machine. With an untethered jailbreak you could set the tweak to launch after the device finished booting and you'd have your 'Android' experience. But that was 'Android' running on top of iOS, not a replacement.

And it was Android 3 or 4 IIRC. Think you'd need a device running iOS 5 or 6 for that if the tweak is still out there. Nothing else exists that I know of.

Reactions: Hanzo305

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Lastly…you really should head over here…

You'll get more up to date help.

Reactions: Hanzo305
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.