Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
My son would like an upgrade his sister's old ipod thouch, and I was going to spring for the latest one. Until I started looking into getting an iphone. Can you simply buy an iphone 6s through straight talk or some other prepaid company and just not activate the cell service and use it as an ipod? if so, I am guessing this would make for a much better device. thoughts? thanks.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
thanks. seems like an iphone 6s for $130 at walmart is a hell of a lot better deal than a $200 ipod touch.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I would think a phone would be better as well, only because you can likely get a phone with a better processor that will last a bit longer than the touch will. That and you’ll get a bigger screen, more storage, etc.

That being said, I might not go as far back as the 6S or you’ll be dealing with not being able to update it. Maybe look at 7, or even 8 if you could get a good deal.

Reactions: ajm222

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Thanks. And any issues with using an Apple ID that’s been running on an iPod and then logging into a phone with that ID? I would imagine it shouldn’t matter as they’re basically the same device.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Thanks. And any issues with using an Apple ID that’s been running on an iPod and then logging into a phone with that ID? I would imagine it shouldn’t matter as they’re basically the same device.

I wouldn’t think there would be any issues with that. I have multiple devices using my Apple ID, and always have - never had any problems with that.

Reactions: ajm222
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.