Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redband

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2024
I have a Apple Magic Keyboard with Touch ID & Numeric Keypad for my M1 iMac which is showing firmware 1.4.8 which has not been updated with the latest security update.
I have tried disabling Bluetooth and re-enabling it connecting and reconnecting the Keyboard putting my Mac to sleep and restarting it and anything else I can think of to get the firmware automatically updated. It still remains at 1.4.8

What do I have to do to update the firmware for my Keyboard

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA

Pertinent Section:

Magic Keyboard Firmware Update 2.0.6​

Released January 9, 2024
Bluetooth
Available for: Magic Keyboard; Magic Keyboard (2021); Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad; Magic Keyboard with Touch ID; and Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad
Impact: An attacker with physical access to the accessory may be able to extract its Bluetooth pairing key and monitor Bluetooth traffic
Description: A session management issue was addressed with improved checks.
CVE-2024-0230: Marc Newlin of SkySafe

Firmware updates are automatically delivered in the background while the Magic Keyboard is actively paired to a device running macOS, iOS, iPadOS, or tvOS.
You can check the firmware version of your Magic Keyboard in Bluetooth settings on your Mac. Go to System Settings > Bluetooth, then click on the Info button
macos-big-sur-messages-info-icon.png
next to your keyboard. After this firmware update is installed, the firmware version is 2.0.6.

Reactions: kitKAC

redband

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2024
I am fully aware of all that you say about how the update is normally delivered but the point is it is not been delivered. I am still on version 1.4.8 and not 2.0.6.
Can i download and update it myself.
All other updates for macOS Monterey v 12.7.3 are delivered OK

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have a Apple Magic Keyboard with Touch ID & Numeric Keypad for my M1 iMac which is showing firmware 1.4.8 which has not been updated with the latest security update.
I have tried disabling Bluetooth and re-enabling it connecting and reconnecting the Keyboard putting my Mac to sleep and restarting it and anything else I can think of to get the firmware automatically updated. It still remains at 1.4.8

What do I have to do to update the firmware for my Keyboard
My keyboards updated almost immediately after connecting them over USB.

redband

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2024
OK that's good to know but since I have a M1 iMac with 2 thunderbolt and 2 USB4 ports and only the cable that came with the iMac for charging the keyboard - my only option is to use the cable and connect it to one of the 2 USB4 ports which I have done. I have waited 2 hours and no update has been installed

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
OK that's good to know but since I have a M1 iMac with 2 thunderbolt and 2 USB4 ports and only the cable that came with the iMac for charging the keyboard - my only option is to use the cable and connect it to one of the 2 USB4 ports which I have done. I have waited 2 hours and no update has been installed
Have you disconnected the keyboard from the USB port after connecting it, and do you have the "Install Security Responses and system files" option enabled in the Software Update settings for your Mac?

redband

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2024
Thank you chrfr for trying to help me.
In response, the only reference in Software Update in my Monterey iMac under Advanced settings is “Install system data files and security updates” and this checked on. Is what you say available somewhere else in System Settings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.