Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

binba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Hi, I tried to understand the state of things as far as FileVault (aka APFS-Encrypted) on cMP units is concerned. Read some threads here and on MacVidCards' blog, and still confused.

I have a MP4,1 updated to 5,1 with a vanilla RX580 and 10.13.6. Considering whether to update to Mojave or Catalina, and would be great to have FileVault running again.

1. As far as the support or lack of support for FileVault with the above setup, is there a difference between Mojave and Catalina? (Well, aside from the fact that Catalina wouldn't install in the first place without dosdude's patch.)

2. The RX580 supports Metal, of course, so I was confused whether that's a good or a bad thing in this context.

3. Is the encrypted login screen still EFI-dependent on both Mojave and Catalina?

4. Finally, if it's all still a mess, is there any good 3rd-party alternative? Software that offers user-space convenient file encryption. As a last resort, I might just create an encrypted disk image, mount it as a login item, and put all my documents there.

I have an Apple GTX120 on the shelf, not sure if it's worth using or whether it'd help the Metal/EFI catch-22. (Are cMP installs with both a vanilla AMD GPU and Mac nVidia EFI GPU stable?)

dataid

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
USA
Look at the thread for MP 1,1-5,1 OpenCore on the Mac Pro. OpenCore has the ability to support file vault on Mac Pro. Catalina is supported without need for dosdude's patch in fact if your CPU is a Westmere Apple's native software updating is supported in Catalina. I don't use FileVault but others in that thread do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.