Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jave808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2023
Newcastle NSW Australia
Hi everyone

Recently I purchased an old MacBook Pro Late 2011 model. It has a i5 CPU, 8GB RAM and a 500GB HDD. I'm planning to upgrade the memory to 16GB and add a SSD to speed things up.

Initially the laptop had Win10 installed (interesting!) so I then did an Internet Recovery on it and OSX Lion was the version that Apple decided for me to use.

Can I upgrade to a later OS? Do I need physical media like a dmg written to a USB stick or can it all be done over the 'net?

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
Officially the 2011 will only support up to High Sierra (macOS 10.13) There are ways to install later versions but they are not supported by Apple and your system might run slower, or have other issues.

Reactions: jave808

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
Hi everyone

Recently I purchased an old MacBook Pro Late 2011 model. It has a i5 CPU, 8GB RAM and a 500GB HDD. I'm planning to upgrade the memory to 16GB and add a SSD to speed things up.

Initially the laptop had Win10 installed (interesting!) so I then did an Internet Recovery on it and OSX Lion was the version that Apple decided for me to use.

Can I upgrade to a later OS? Do I need physical media like a dmg written to a USB stick or can it all be done over the 'net?
macOS High Sierra

Reactions: jave808

jave808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2023
Newcastle NSW Australia
Me again

I have installed OS X Sierra successfully. But when I try to update to High Sierra through the App Store, it works through the install, then at the end it says that the install has failed, due to some firmware error. What can I do now?

jave808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2023
Newcastle NSW Australia
I've decided to go back to Mac OS after playing around with Win10.

So, I first started off with an Internet Recovery. The default install is OS X Lion. About this Mac shows version 10.7.5 installed.

I then found this - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8165459?sortBy=best

which states that one can upgrade from 10.7 to 10.8, then from 10.8 to 10.12

So I then downloaded dmg packages from here - https://support.apple.com/en-us/102662

I copied them across from my USB stick (I downloaded the dmg files on my main Linux PC) and then proceeded to install.

10.8 first, but when it comes time to install, the installer says only 22MB will be installed!! But the dmg package itself is over 4GB in size!

So I went ahead with it anyway. Rebooted and About this Mac still shows version 10.7.5

Can someone please explain what is happening here? What am I doing wrong with my upgrades?

jave808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2023
Newcastle NSW Australia
Don't worry I worked it out (thanks to a reddit thread)

I needed to go into the Applications folder and find the "Install OS Sierra" icon. All good from there.

jave808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2023
Newcastle NSW Australia
Ok, so I managed to update to High Sierra. :)

I then started reading about OpenCore Legacy Patcher. I felt confident in giving it a go.

So I eventually managed to update to Big Sur. I could have gone up to another OS, but I read that my old MB Pro would struggle with these newer OSes, so I've left it at Big Sur.

Now I'm mucking around with Ableton 12 Live Lite. :eek: :D:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.