Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frijid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
So I'm new to the Iphone family. I bought my SE 2020 on January 7 2021. Coming from an android that was a little over a year old with a 2600 mah battery, I was very hesitant to own a phone with an 1821 mah battery. Grant it, I'm a light user, I still had my doubts. Ive come to realize that with less bloatware and more control over my phone, iOS is a lot better at optimization that android. I now feel like android tries to hide this by just offering a higher capacity battery. Grant it I was coming from an 80 dollar android, but still 2600 is 2600 mah.

I've gotten used to the phone now. I unplug in the morning and charge overnight. So therefore I'm on battery all day. At my hardest day of daily usage, I'm at like 50 to 60 percent when it comes times to plug it in at bed. And that's even after watching YouTube videos for 2 hours. On a light day and no YouTube I'm at like 90 percent come bed time so I just leave it off the charger overnight. Even after bedtime on day two, with light use that day and 2 or so hours of YouTube, I'm going to bed at 35 or so percent, In which case then I will plug it in. I couldn't do this with my 2600mah android. Even after 2 days off and YouTube I'd be at 10 percent or less.

I'm aware that the SE 2020 was released in April 2020. And in October 2020 they stopped including the charger and ear buds. When I bought mine, it came with a charger and earbuds, which means mine's been on the shelf between April and October, so therefore between 3 to 9 months on the shelf. So mine isn't as fresh as I probably would have liked it to be, but so far I'm very satisfied with it.

So I'm at about a month and a half of usage time, and I checked the battery health and its still 100%

So my question is, for those of you that bought it on release date, what is your capacity at? Have you noticed any life lost over the months?

Since mine is about the correct size I prefer in a phone, I plan on using mine as long as possible, and just having the battery replaced when the time comes

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
So I'm new to the Iphone family. I bought my SE 2020 on January 7 2021. Coming from an android that was a little over a year old with a 2600 mah battery, I was very hesitant to own a phone with an 1821 mah battery. Grant it, I'm a light user, I still had my doubts. Ive come to realize that with less bloatware and more control over my phone, iOS is a lot better at optimization that android. I now feel like android tries to hide this by just offering a higher capacity battery. Grant it I was coming from an 80 dollar android, but still 2600 is 2600 mah.

I've gotten used to the phone now. I unplug in the morning and charge overnight. So therefore I'm on battery all day. At my hardest day of daily usage, I'm at like 50 to 60 percent when it comes times to plug it in at bed. And that's even after watching YouTube videos for 2 hours. On a light day and no YouTube I'm at like 90 percent come bed time so I just leave it off the charger overnight. Even after bedtime on day two, with light use that day and 2 or so hours of YouTube, I'm going to bed at 35 or so percent, In which case then I will plug it in. I couldn't do this with my 2600mah android. Even after 2 days off and YouTube I'd be at 10 percent or less.

I'm aware that the SE 2020 was released in April 2020. And in October 2020 they stopped including the charger and ear buds. When I bought mine, it came with a charger and earbuds, which means mine's been on the shelf between April and October, so therefore between 3 to 9 months on the shelf. So mine isn't as fresh as I probably would have liked it to be, but so far I'm very satisfied with it.

So I'm at about a month and a half of usage time, and I checked the battery health and its still 100%

So my question is, for those of you that bought it on release date, what is your capacity at? Have you noticed any life lost over the months?

Since mine is about the correct size I prefer in a phone, I plan on using mine as long as possible, and just having the battery replaced when the time comes

You won't have to worry for years. My 6s still has like 89 percent capacity and it was purchased on release day. It's running 14.4 now with my son using it alot.

Radar2032

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2020
I bought an iPhone SE on launch date. Currently at 91% health. The battery is the biggest drawback of this phone even though it has a fantastic A13 chip, there's not much SoT to be gained from having a 1821 mAh cell

nokiauk

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2005
Scotland
Got mine a few weeks after launch, currently on 97% health, battery doesn't seem to last that long though and drops initially 10%-15% quickly from 100%

Reactions: Boyyai

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I brought my SE in April 2020, and then stopped using it on Day 1 of the Iphone 12 Mini release (First week of November). When i turned my SE off its overall battery capacity was at approx 96%, so not bad at all. I get about 1 and half days in between charges so its great for me (Light/moderate user).

I actually turned on my SE yesterday to check its health and maintain it. I forgot how good it feels in the hand, and it is actually slightly easier to use one handed than my 12 mini (easier to access control centre and notification screens). Also the 326ppi p3 LCD screen, is not that different than the 476 ppi 1080p OLED screen on the 12 mini in terms of sharpness and colours to my eyes anyway. The OLED is better, but not by much. Touch ID is just great though, better than Face ID in my opinion.

PS - Love your Name OP haha

Last edited:

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
We went from 2 iPhone 8's to 2 iPhone 11's. The battery in the 11 is much much longer lasting than the 8. Using the phone regularly throughout the day doing most everything we ask of them, we still have 70-80 percent of charge left at the end of the day. Our 8's were better than any android handset we have owned, but the 11 is AWESOME.

Frijid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
I brought my SE in April 2020, and then stopped using it on Day 1 of the Iphone 12 Mini release (First week of November). When i turned my SE off its overall battery capacity was at approx 96%, so not bad at all. I get about 1 and half days in between charges so its great for me (Light/moderate user).

I actually turned on my SE yesterday to check its health and maintain it. I forgot how good it feels in the hand, and it is actually slightly easier to use one handed than my 12 mini (easier to access control centre and notification screens). Also the 326ppi p3 LCD screen, is not that different than the 476 ppi 1080p OLED screen on the 12 mini in terms of sharpness and colours to my eyes anyway. The OLED is better, but not by much. Touch ID is just great though, better than Face ID in my opinion.

PS - Love your Name OP haha
Lol thanks. I can't take credit for it, I borrowed it from the first name of a favorite band of mine

Thanks for all the replies everyone. So it seems that everyone is saying the battery is consistent in usage. I understand that batteries age and that someone who plays hard-core games on it would probably wear it out faster by charging a lot and probably even charging while playing. As a light user, I'm hoping for the best in the long term.

The usage i got the last few days was great. I unplugged Thursday at 8 am. At 1 am It was bed time. I had made a couple phone calls for about 6 minutes of total. Texting and messaging that contributed to 1 hr and and 4 minutes of screen time. Battery was around 85 so I didn't plug it in. Woke up and did my thing through the day. Come 11 pm of Friday night, I had 22 percent. During the day, I had did 45 minutes of screen time due to messaging. A 20 minute video facetime, and did my bi weekly phone call with my dad for 3 hours and 44 minutes. So needless to say the battery life is great I think.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
I got mine on launch day April 2020 and I use it heavily. I just checked and it’s at 91% capacity. For a reference my daughter’s 6s that I bought late November 2018 new is at 80% and dies quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.