Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nick012

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Here's the deal:
I want to be able to launch apps on my mac while I'm at work and have them pop up on my work desktop (Windows XP). That way I can use apps on my home machine remotely. Is it possible to do this without going down the VNC screen sharing route?
I've heard that its possible on linux to linux connections but I can't find anything on launching mac apps from windows over SSH...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Here's the deal:
I want to be able to launch apps on my mac while I'm at work and have them pop up on my work desktop (Windows XP). That way I can use apps on my home machine remotely. Is it possible to do this without going down the VNC screen sharing route?
I've heard that its possible on linux to linux connections but I can't find anything on launching mac apps from windows over SSH...

Yes it will work just fine as long as the app you are running on the Mac runs in text mode on a terminal. What is it you need to do? If you are just cheking something or moving some files the terminal will work fine.

Nick012

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Is there any way to launch apps with a gui? So that I could, for example, use firefox on my home machine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.