Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neorf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
i'had installed parallels but now no more. I've upgraded to Lion and inside Launchpad i find old icon located in /users/username/Applications/Windows 7 Applications, folder created by Parallels.
How can i remove this app from Launchpad?
Thanks

neorf

neorf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
i've deleted folder "/users/username/Applications/Windows 7 Applications", but the problem is still there. That folder at the moment is inside Trash. Maybe if i empty trash everything is ok?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
i've deleted folder "/users/username/Applications/Windows 7 Applications", but the problem is still there. That folder at the moment is inside Trash. Maybe if i empty trash everything is ok?

Yeah empty the trash. That should fix it.

icosahedron

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
You can also delete the Windows icons from Launchpad by choosing to not sure Windows applications inside the configuration of your VM in Parallels.

This way the Applications themselves aren't deleted, but the icons are.

cacososa

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Parallels windows icons are still showing in launchpad

I deleted the windows 7 from /users/username/application/ and empyted the trash and I even restarted and nothing happened the icons are still showing in lauchpad. Also I don't know why but the windows 7 folder was the only thing inside the /users/username/application/ and now that I have deleted it I have 0 items inside that folder.

Any advice?

thanks
Carlos

cacososa

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Ok i found a solution a pretty annoying solution but it did the trick. For some reason after I deleted the windows 7 folder from users\username\applications folder and emptied the trashcan the icons in launchpad didn't go away. But when I tried clicking on one of the icons a ? appeared and I was then able to delete it by holding down the option/alt key..

baspowe

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
Delete the Application folder in the folder of your account name. This is where all parallels windows application shortcuts are.

Then

Finder>Go

~/Library/Application support/Dock

delete the .db file here.

Terminal> killall Dock

this worked for me...hope it helps

Last edited:

Mere

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
Launchpad Cleaner

Here's an easy way to delete or restore launchpad apps without using terminal commands or deleting/uninstalling any apps: :)

LaunchpadCleaner: A small, simple and free app that allows you clean up your Launchbar with a single click: http://zoltanb.co.uk/launchpadcleaner/

uyhoang

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
I tried using LaunchpadCleaner but the icons kept coming back. I found the best way to permanently get rid of them was to do a Spotlght search. Search based on version and put in "Windows" (see screenshot below). Select all of them and move it to trash.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-11 at 10.11.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-12-11 at 10.11.43 AM.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 537
Reactions: Deviant Relic

asdlb4

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
This Was It!

Delete the Application folder in the folder of your account name. This is where all parallels windows application shortcuts are.

Then

Finder>Go

~/Library/Application support/Dock

delete the .db file here.

Terminal> killall Dock

this worked for me...hope it helps

Thank you soooo much! I've been having this problem for months and couldn't figure out a fix. This totally worked!!!

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Hi, having to bump this one.

The long gone parallels intallation is cluttering up my application list. Paralells is uninstalled and there are no applications in the /Applications/ folder.

How do I completely remove the old windows shortcuts? Thanks.

screenshot20120711at081.png

Last edited:

Deviant Relic

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2017
I tried using LaunchpadCleaner but the icons kept coming back. I found the best way to permanently get rid of them was to do a Spotlght search. Search based on version and put in "Windows" (see screenshot below). Select all of them and move it to trash.

This post saved me two years of frustration trying to get rid of the Parallels Icons and Windows application associations in finder. The typical uninstall of Parallels nor clean up tools caught those files. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.