Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
My gateway 22" LCD has a max resolution of 1680x1050. I also noticed today a lot of 20" LCD's have a max resolution of 1680x1050. What gives? My screen should be able to handle a higher resolution shouldn't it? Is there any tip/trick someone could give me to accomplish this?

I"m just a little "eh" because now my 22" is really more just like a 20"...

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
There's no way to "trick" or otherwise adjust a monitor into thinking it has more pixels than it actually has. You have no more real estate on your 22" than someone who has a 20" does. Sorry to disappoint. It's still a great monitor, though.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I have a tip. Buy a different LCD.

If you understood how LCDs work, then you would realize that shaking your fist at your LCD and demanding it display a better resolution for you is rather like shaking your fist at your car and demanding that it run on diet soda.

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
There's no way to "trick" or otherwise adjust a monitor into thinking it has more pixels than it actually has. You have no more real estate on your 22" than someone who has a 20" does. Sorry to disappoint. It's still a great monitor, though.

what about the powerbook macbook pro resolution adjustment?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

The only way to increase the resolution in a PowerBook is to replace the LCD panel itself, which some have done using the top half or a MacBook Pro. This ain't cheap or for the faint of heart. Much easier to buy a higher res. monitor like the Dell 24" if you need the res.

Resolution and size aren't tied as you seem to think, as many larger LCDs have even less resolution than your 22" (e.g. my 40" HDTB with 1360x768).

B

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Mmmm, okay, let me explain my earlier snide comment.

A CRT works by spraying a screen with an electron beam gun. The gun is moved around by EM fields, basically. The screen itself doesn't really have a fundamental resolution; it can more or less display as high a resolution as you can get -- which is limited by how accurately you can control the electron beam.

An LCD doesn't work anything like this at all. An LCD has a fixed grid of pixels that are basically like colored glass that can change color. They can change from opaque to transparent, and they handle in three colors so that you can come up with whatever color you want. Then you pass white light through the grid and, just like a projector, you see the pixels that are transparent as light and the pixels that are opaque as dark.

BUT, the resolution of the grid is always the same. Think of it like a checkerboard. You can only put the pieces in the squares. There's nowhere else to put the pieces. And there are only so many squares.

You can *reduce* the resolution, as you do on your Powerbook, and it will attempt to simulate the lower resolution on your screen (so you can make 800x600 on a powerbook). The screen still has the same number of pixels, but it interpolates the image onto them.

But you can never go higher than the actual native resolution. This is no less true of the Powerbook than your Gateway or of any other LCD. Every single LCD works this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.