Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esbod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2002
With all the chat about speed bumps for the portables information about iMac upgrades has gone "off the radar".

There was talk of speed bumps and an all 17" line-up, a possible 19" which makes more sense now that a 19" screen is in the wind.

So what's up??? Where is the iMac line upgrade??

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
anyone esle out there who doesnt like widescreen? i dont. the 15''imac and the 12.1-14.1'' ibooks are the only ones i would get. i cant stand humoungous monitors.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally posted by daniel77
anyone esle out there who doesnt like widescreen? i dont. the 15''imac and the 12.1-14.1'' ibooks are the only ones i would get. i cant stand humoungous monitors.

Don't like big monitors?!:eek: That doesn't make sence to me.

P-Worm

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Originally posted by daniel77

um, i can understand your liking of the 12.1-14.1 inch iBooks, i agree anything more would be too big, but i disagree with your statement on the iMac. The introduction of the 17" iMac was the final push that made me, and im sure many others, go out and buy it. I dont think that 17" is too much, but this talk about apple making a 30" display i think is ridiculous.

zorblaz

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2002
Syracuse NY
... I was just thinking the same thing... I've been waiting (and waiting) to see that 17" go down in price (at least by $300) so I can get rid of my crappy windoze machine.... I was hopful that maybe apple would have bumped up their line Oct 15th, but that didn't happen.... I'm figuring I'll be stuck with windows until January... Maybe Apple will do a "1 year anniversary" update? *sigh* I hope not- I need one now! ;)

at any rate, I would hope that Apple would maybe have maybe one or two 15" imacs and maybe two 17" imacs for the holiday season and just announce a "total 17" imac lineup" next January... it'd seem logical to me.... tho not what I want

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
LCD

I keep hearing about HD LCD... I mean really just how far off resolution wise are we here from HD? The only question I can see here is whether Apple thinks comsumers will accept a bump in price for it. Even as an optional feature, it would be a very interesting development.

Clearly Macs can handle HD. I hook up my Powerbook to a 23" Cinema Display an with HD and presto! So the only question I have is how much extra will it cost us tp incorporate thin films of HD as opposed to the slightly lower resolutions we have today?

Apple to Switch to HD on all displays... truth or MacRumor - you decide :cool:

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
HDTV Resolutions, just the widescreen ones:

Starting at 720x480; 480p
1280x720; 720p
1920x1080i; 1080i

The 17" iMac can display only up to the middle range HDTV rez, being at 1440x900 or something like that.

I don't think they'll switch to full HD on all displays,(too expensive, 1920x1200 at 17", akk!) but I would luv2c them all at 16:10 ratio, like all the current wide ones.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Large monitors are great :D, but the 17" iMac is pushing it, IMHO. It looks funny. I described it in one thread as looking like a little kid with a big head.... :D:D:D

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Getting back to when they will update the iMac. If they wait until January, it will have been a year since their last speed bump! Thats a little too long I think.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's true that they need to make a speed bump, but instead of just going up another 100 MHz, which I would expect, they also need to move to a 133 MHz bus. Since they're using DDR (ineffectively) in the PowerMacs, they can now claim to have differentiated the lines well enough to speed up the bus.

If that's the case, we'll probably only see 733 and 867. I don't think they'll do 867 and 933 right now--even if there's only a single processor--the numbers are too close to the PMs. If there's no bus change, 800 and 900 but there's a slim possibility for 1 GHz.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
MWSF, maybe...

The 133MHz bus suggested by buosozoku and the 867MHz speed, but I wouldn't expect it until next year.

The 15" inventory backlog will be cleared out this winter with a price drop to the $999 level. If you want the 15", now's the time to get it. Some sellers are already offering it at that price.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Shrek
They'd better introduce a 19" iMac sometime soon, before it's too late! :eek:
I dont think that a 19" LCD is coming any time soon! There is no need. A 17" LCD is already equivalent to a 19" CRT. Its a consumer machine, no need for a huge display. I am more interested in the rest of the system.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by Falleron

I dont think that a 19" LCD is coming any time soon! There is no need. A 17" LCD is already equivalent to a 19" CRT. Its a consumer machine, no need for a huge display. I am more interested in the rest of the system.

You know, there are many who disagree with that statement, including me! :p

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK

You know, there are many who disagree with that statement, including me! :p
Ok, I accept there are people who want a larger screen. However, the other point is that can the iMac Base handle a 19" LCD. I think that may be pushing it - we dont want them easily topilling over.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by Falleron

Ok, I accept there are people who want a larger screen. However, the other point is that can the iMac Base handle a 19" LCD. I think that may be pushing it - we dont want them easily topilling over.

Well, sure the base can handle it. You can bet that that base sure as hell weighs a lot more than that screen. The screen is light, especially because it's flat-panel. :D I think this rumor about needing to widen the iMac base to support a larger screen is ridiculous! :mad: I have no idea where it came from. So Mac users are suppose to be smarter than PC users, eh? So they say. :p

DeKa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2002
Sydney Australia
Of course the base can support it! It weighs an *absolute* tonne! I think the whole iMac weighs 13kg. A 15" LCD I have on a PC here weighs 3kg. This 17" LCD could weigh no more than 4kg then.. So yes the base can support it without falling over and without widening.

The only thing that would need tinkering with would be whatever is inside the shiny arm that counterbalances the monitor.

Derek

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame

Well, sure the base can handle it. You can bet that that base sure as hell weighs a lot more than that screen. The screen is light, especially because it's flat-panel. :D I think this rumor about needing to widen the iMac base to support a larger screen is ridiculous! :mad: I have no idea where it came from. So Mac users are suppose to be smarter than PC users, eh? So they say. :p

the question is not whether or not the base will handle a larger screen, that has to do with the springs or whatever in the arm. the question is will it look absolutely ridiculous with a 19". IMO the 17" looks great on the current base, but if apple were slap on a 19 inch screen, the base will have to be a little bigger to keep it from looking like, in scem0's words "a little kid with a big head."

igordi

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2001
I wonder how many people that make the comments about the size and weight of the iMac have actually seen one in person. I guarantee that you could throw a 19" screen on that current base. Remember that the screens on the iMac aren't nearly as bulky or heavy as the freestanding ones. As far as the 19" looking too large for the base, I guess that's just a matter of taste. I personally think it would look fantastic with a larger base.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.