Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojo1019

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Hello everyone,
recently I have noticed a huge degradation of performance while playing League of Legends on my Mac (MacBook Pro 16" mid 2019, an Intel Mac with mac OS 12.6.6). I have notice that while I used to play at around 100 - 120 fps in normal Summoner's Rift games, now if I rarely can get over 80, but more likely I say around 50 - 60. So I have tried to play it on my Bootcamp partition and I have no problem to get 120 - 144 fps with the same graphic settings... I have already tried to reinstall the app but the result has not changed. I also use Mac Fan Control to keep the fans spinning at the maximum speed al the time. It is probably some optimisation problem, by the way I would like to know your experience lately on this title.

Thank you!

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
I can't speak for League of Legends, but I remember when I would game on my Mac with World of Warcraft I could get about a 20 fps increase in bootcamp/ Windows 10 compared to native MacOS. This was 2-3 years go. Although I feel Blizzard is relatively good at optimizing their game for the latest MacOS APIs, in general I don't think most game studios care about, or are capable of optimizing for MacOS.

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
League of Legends is a bit of an abandonware on macOS, they have got a Metal renderer, but it's not enabled by default and labeled beta since years ago. Try to enabled it. But apart from that there isn't much you can do if the developer doesn't spend any resource at all to optimise it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.