Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WitchoftheWilds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
So I received my 15in 2.7 512 460 on the 15th and it has been a blast to use. Before this I used a 2012 rMBP as my daily machine.

The problem I have been experiencing with LoL is after loading into a game, the screen will freeze but the game continues to run in the background. Shop can be bought from, items moved, etc.

This issue doesn't happen on my 2012. I play in fullscreen and have tried resetting and using different graphical settings to no avail. The screen unfreezes after minimizing and reopening the game client a random number of times. Sometimes it doesn't freeze at all and other times it will take 10 or more min+max to unfreeze.

This is extremely frustrating because of my having to be afk to fix this.

Is anyone else experiencing this on their new Macs? I feel like it has to be an issue with the new ones because of the lack of it happening on my 2012.

Any help is appreciated.

a1inabox

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
Yeah mine does that too. At first I thought it was maybe the beta client. But now I think it's probably something to do with the new MacBook

WitchoftheWilds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
I was hopeful the patch today would fix whatever the issue is but I'm still experiencing it. I'm getting really frustrated xD

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
Does LoL have a full-screen windowed mode? This is often more reliable (if a bit slower) than full-screen mode.

WitchoftheWilds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
Does LoL have a full-screen windowed mode? This is often more reliable (if a bit slower) than full-screen mode.
it does have a windowed mode but the game window can't be moved. when I drag it to center it, the window snaps back to where it was offscreen. that's why I have to fullscreen it.

raymond7

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2016
Lol if this is an AMD driver issue, this could take a while to fix since Apple doesn't really focus that much on updates for graphic drivers in macOS.

But since the macbook pro 2016 are new, maybe they will fix these buggy drivers in the next Sierra iteration?

infiniteentropy

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
LoL in ARAM is crazy bad late in the game on my 13" tMBP. Which has to be a software issue since I play plenty of other games on high settings smoothly and without issue. I'm hoping they fix the bugs SOON.

SRTM

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2011
Im having the same issues, where the screen will freeze, but the game will still play in the background

WitchoftheWilds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
so I was hoping the patch today would address the freezing issue but I'm still experiencing it. Anyone find any fixes?

fireedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Indonesia
have you try to change the resolution to the 1440x900 ?
in the system pref --> displays ---> select scaled and choose "looks like 1440x900" and try launch the game again

fireedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Indonesia
just tried it in game. still glitching out :(

I'm not a LoL player, I mean rarely play this game, very rare, but when I try just now, everything is running smooth no glitch. Playing just about 18 minutes.
Radeon pro 455 here
Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 22.53.26.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 22.58.59.jpg

WitchoftheWilds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
I'm not a LoL player, I mean rarely play this game, very rare, but when I try just now, everything is running smooth no glitch. Playing just about 18 minutes.
Radeon pro 455 here
View attachment 677569
View attachment 677570
When you get in game, try minimizing and reopening the game window a bunch of times. Lately I've been noticing it won't freeze immediately upon entering a game but doing that should replicate the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.