Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyclone84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Hey, all. I've got a line on a used PSP for $150 which includes GTA 3 and Twisted Metal. It also has the OEM case, headphones, charger, and a 1 GB Sandisk memory stick.

He claims that, in 1.5 years of ownership, he's only put 20 hours (!) of play on it. (the pictures he sent look like it's brand new and there aren't any scratches)

I used to own a DS, but sold it after X-mas when they were going for ~$200 on eBay and want something to use on my 40 minute+ commute to work.

Should I even think twice about this? What are some other worthwhile games for the PSP?

Thanks!

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I'd take that deal if I had the opportunity.

-God of War comes out later this fall and it'll be kick ass.
-The newer Metal Gear is supposedly very good.
-WipeOut Pure sequel will be coming/worked on.
-Loco Roco looks fun (even if in small doses).
-Ratchet & Clank looks good
-firmware is downgradable with Lumines ;) (making the system emulator friendly)

I'll be getting a PSP sometime between now and when God of War comes out.

timestoby

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
north devon,uk
id say get one.i had one when they first came out,but sold it a couple of months later due to the fact that there wasnt to many great games out.i was actually thinkn of getn a another one.

was wanting a vid ipod,but the psp screen is bigger and widescreen and plus you can play games with the psp lol. and with downgrading the firmware a game is just a download away.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Despite what the Nintendo-fanatics around here will tell you, the PSP is actually a good system. The problem of 'no-games' isn't really a problem since there are a good bunch of really solid games out for it. Just a word of warning though; most PSP games feel more like console games and less like handheld games. If that is gonna bug you, then a PSP purchase is a little iffy, but if you wanna play games like GTA but portable, then it's a great system to own.

I reccommend

Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
Daxter
GTA: LCS & VCS
WipeOut
Lumines I & II (puzzle, tetris kinda games)
Sega Genesis Collection (if you are into old games at least)
LocoRoco
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror

And be sure to go to playstation.com and sign up for the PSU, since they were (I dunno if they still are) offering free God of War demo's whenever they release them.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Play it first, then play it again. I bought one after playing on a friends for just 15 minutes. I sold it a few days after I bought it, I needed a jock off external HDD and the DS Lite was coming out soon so it was a no-brainer.

Gotta say it's easy to get bowled over by the specs and design. I found it extremely lacking on the games front and instead used it as a portable emulation system (without knowing about the better priced GP2X - has TV out, Linux and other features I think the PSP should have).

cyclone84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Play it first, then play it again. I bought one after playing on a friends for just 15 minutes. I sold it a few days after I bought it.

I know, I almost did the same thing when it first came out. I played my friends PSP and was about to shell out $250+ to buy one. I waited it out, eventually got a DS-Lite, but sold that after not loving it as much as I thought I would.

Now, I've started a new job and have a long commute by train, the game selection seems to have matured a bit (with some new good ones coming), and I don't think I can pass up on this deal.

Has anyone played Twisted Metal: Head On?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I just bought one on impulse a few days ago and am thinking of selling it already. I should have researched to find out what games were out for it. I like RPGs best, but there are very few available for the PSP (and most of those get poor reviews). I expected a lot of PS1 ports (and they have a boatload of good RPGs), but there don't seem to be any. It is a beautiful system, and I just love the hardware and wifi, but I would definitely say check out the games first to see if you will like what is available.

EDIT: I just sold mine for the same price that I paid for it. The PSP is a great device, the games are just not for me.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Hey, all. I've got a line on a used PSP for $150 which includes GTA 3 and Twisted Metal. It also has the OEM case, headphones, charger, and a 1 GB Sandisk memory stick.

For $150, I'd jump on that and eBay the games. There are plenty of great games for the PSP (Puzzle Quest, Mega Man X, etc.), plus the added bonus of ripping music and movies and storing them on the memory stick.

I don't care much for watching movies on my iPod, but watching them on the PSP wasn't that bad.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Go for it. I'd keep GTA and ditch Twisted Metal though. In addition to the games sikkinixx mentioned I'd recommend Burnout, especially Legends (whatever the first one was).

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
loco roco. it's the most original and fun game i've seen on that system yet. it almost makes me wish i hadn't sold my psp. almost.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
games on the psp arent that good
i use it mainly for emulation games (arcade stuff) and media (movies/music)
get a bigger memoery stick. 8gb or 4gb

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

He claims that, in 1.5 years of ownership, he's only put 20 hours (!) of play on it. (the pictures he sent look like it's brand new and there aren't any scratches)

I used to own a DS, but sold it after X-mas when they were going for ~$200 on eBay and want something to use on my 40 minute+ commute to work.

Should I even think twice about this? What are some other worthwhile games for the PSP?

Thanks!

Wait for the redesign (this guy is probably selling it to buy one)

doctor newb

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
PC, not the computer
if it werent for the fact you would regularly use it i would point you in the direction of home consoles (xbox360,ps3) but I also own a psp and it passes the time easily. The graphics are good not breathtaking just good which is understandable for a handheld. The game library is pretty big. And the psp has lots of potential for added feature through firmware. If you do get one and you are the least bit tech savy I would recommend downgrading your psp so you can add homebrew capabillitie and make your psp un "brickable".

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I bought a PSP on impulse last summer and used it for something like 6 months. I actually really didn't like certain aspects. My biggest grief was the ergonomics. I'm pretty big (6'3") with average sized hands for my length, but the positioning of the analog stick really wasn't pleasant. Anything over 30 min of use started to hurt. Besides this, the analog stick was pretty unpleasant in use in general, with little feel and a general lack of control.

I ended up selling it with a bunch of games and haven't had any regrets since. I think the concept is brilliant, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.
My 4 week old PS3, on the other hand, is absolutely amazing :D:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.