Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mertb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2023
Hello everyone!

I've been studying German actively for the last 6 months. I learned a lot of grammar rules, but I realized that I still don't know a lot of German words. Even though I tried multiple ways to improve my German vocabulary, none of them worked out. Over the weekend, I had this idea of developing a macOS app that shows me a new German word on the Menu Bar, so I can expose myself to the most common words.

I quickly developed the app on Saturday, and it was approved by Apple on Sunday. You open the app and see the words on your Menu Bar. Every minute, you'll see a new word along with an example sentence. If you know the word, you just click the button "I already know this word!" to not see that word again. You can also track your progress of knowing the most common 4,000 German words or change the frequency of refreshing the words.

Let me know what you think :)

You can download the app here: https://apps.apple.com/app/learn-german-every-minute/id6479203386

Reactions: casperes1996

mertb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2023
Is there a reason for “Requires macOS 14.0 or later”?
I'm new to the app development, therefore I'm using the new APIs and in this app I used SwiftData to store the words and it is only available on macOS 14.0 or later.

Reactions: casperes1996

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
It's a nice app idea, great work! As I am German, I already know all the words, but I would love this concept for other languages.

mertb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2023
It's a nice app idea, great work! As I am German, I already know all the words, but I would love this concept for other languages.
Which language would you like to see? I'm going to add more languages this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.