Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
I've just downloaded the free 30 day trial of flash basic 8

Problem is, I don't know where to start. My broadband has gone down, so I can't go mooching for tutorials, and I don't have a memory stick or any spare discs to get tutorials from this PC to my mac.....

Anyone give me a few hints to getting started? I'm more interested in doing flash animations than websites...

I just checked out the tutorial folder within the FLASH package, but couldn't see how to get going.....

?

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
mikebatho said:
I've just downloaded the free 30 day trial of flash basic 8

Problem is, I don't know where to start. My broadband has gone down, so I can't go mooching for tutorials, and I don't have a memory stick or any spare discs to get tutorials from this PC to my mac.....

Anyone give me a few hints to getting started? I'm more interested in doing flash animations than websites...

I just checked out the tutorial folder within the FLASH package, but couldn't see how to get going.....

?

truthfully I've had a hard time finding usefull flash help online, I took the basics of flash in school and it's been trail & error ever since.

I will offer you a good web tip, for you website:
http://www.mbgraphics.net/

You may want to change your title tags "Welcome to Adobe GoLife 6" :p

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
dornoforpyros said:
truthfully I've had a hard time finding usefull flash help online, I took the basics of flash in school and it's been trail & error ever since.

I will offer you a good web tip, for you website:
http://www.mbgraphics.net/

You may want to change your title tags "Welcome to Adobe GoLife 6" :p

Yeah, I've thought about doing that, but nobody really gives a crap, so I dunno....guess maybe I'll get around to it at some point...

The only people who ever notice it are the people who work in a similar industry to me, and I don't get any business from that sector, so I'm not really bothered...

Got a friend coming over to teach me flash these next few days.....:)

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Sorry, no tutorials that I found that were any good. The ones they supply made little sense to me. I worked in the program from time to time over the last few years and I believe it is the worst graphics program ever created, nothing even comes close. I found it easier to work out vector animations in After Effects then export them in the swf format. I then run it into Flash and export in that format again, it will give you even better compression. I can only hope that Adobe rebuilds this program from the ground up, it needs it.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
ATD said:
Sorry, no tutorials that I found that were any good. The ones they supply made little sense to me. I worked in the program from time to time over the last few years and I believe it is the worst graphics program ever created, nothing even comes close. I found it easier to work out vector animations in After Effects then export them in the swf format. I then run it into Flash and export in that format again, it will give you even better compression. I can only hope that Adobe rebuilds this program from the ground up, it needs it.

I just figured it would be a good way to get into doing a bit of 2D animation. I don't know after effects, and I've seen some really nice flash stuff over the years, like joecartoon.....

Just fancied having a play around.....

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I sent a pm but for others if drawing, animation and some other stuff is what your looking for try http://www.cartoonsmart.com as that's where I bought my lessons from since I hurt my back and eventually had surgery. I had to take a leave from school but this has really helped fill the void while I'm away. Some of the lessons are free and some you will have to pay for but so is a good book.
Hope this helps others as it did for me over a few months, enjoy :D

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
mikebatho said:
I just figured it would be a good way to get into doing a bit of 2D animation. I don't know after effects, and I've seen some really nice flash stuff over the years, like joecartoon.....

Just fancied having a play around.....

It's good that you have a freind helping you. If you can make heads or tails out of it, let us know.
:rolleyes:

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Artful Dodger said:
I sent a pm but for others if drawing, animation and some other stuff is what your looking for try http://www.cartoonsmart.com as that's where I bought my lessons from since I hurt my back and eventually had surgery. I had to take a leave from school but this has really helped fill the void while I'm away. Some of the lessons are free and some you will have to pay for but so is a good book.

Thanks for the link.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Artful Dodger said:

Yeah, thanks for that. I'll be back online on my mac in a couple of days, so I'll have a play around. If I can get so far, I can usually bend a piece of software to get the results I want.

At the end of the day it can't make as little sense as xpert layers in Quark...

Haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.