Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2003
OK, my friend is trying to get me a job doing asp.net and sql server. I was wondering has anybody have had experience with the learning curve involved here. I know my way around LAMP and oracle ok and I am about get my 2003 server mcp so the microsoft world isn't totally foriegn. Also, I have done work in vb6 and mfc/c++, but that was pre .net days. Any thoughts?

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
w3schools is your friend;)
IMHO the learning curve is more than significant, but if you're up to date with your OOP then you'll be alright. In fact, if you are decent with good ol' programming, then ASP .NET will eventually make your life easier.
I started out with .NET, so I wouldn't know what it's like to come from LAMP, but there are a lot of people here at work that started out with regular ASP. Most of them make the mistake of scripting too much like they used to on regular ASP. In ASP .NET you want to keep the scripting to the minimum as most of the code will be separated from the HTML. Focus on this code separation paradigm when learning ASP .NET.
Your knowledge of VB6 will definately be of use as VB .NET is very similar, but if you have the time/will to do so, I recommend that you learn C# (although theoretically both languages yield the same results).
If you know oracle I don't think you'll have much trouble with sql server. You could start out with MS's data application block, although you shouldn't use them for anything other than learning purposes.
A copy of Visual Studio .NET would be very helpful(although I hear it isn't cheap:( ).

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
You better get a firm grasp on SQL Server as well. SQL Server and Oracle do not function the same way, such as number of connections should you use, how indexing works, etc.

Of course, if your app only needs to scale to a hundred users or so, then you may be okay with skimping on the database end.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2003
My OOP is pretty good. I'll take at look at some literature this week on asp.net and sql server. Looks like a fun learning curve. This gig apparently is only going to be part time, so I doubt the app will be that big of a deal unless the people hiring are complete idiots. anyway thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.