Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Hi all,
I'm a frontend developer (for a long time), currently building webapps with React and all the things.

I'm feeling the itch to do something new in the evenings on my couch. Swift looks interesting, and it would be new. Is it worth it and good enough these days? I remember reading a lot of negative posts back when it released.
I could just use React Native, but right now I don't care for platforms, using iPhone, iPad, macOs... And React native would be more of the same I already do at work.

I have no interest in digging into Objective C, I never liked the language from the outside. Is it still mandatory to learn it in 2019 with SwiftUI on the horizon?

Thanks all, hearing about any experiences with Swift would be great!

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Every once in a while I experience an odd behavior that makes me research how/why something is acting an unexplained way and it turns out to be Objective C related. It's not a regular occurrence though.

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
I recommend getting apples books on swift “intro to app development with swift” and “app development with swift.” These are available for free from the iBooks store. These two books in conjunction should get you up to speed on writing swift code and also get you comfortable with writing apps using UIKit.

Reactions: 370zulu

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Hi all,
I'm a frontend developer (for a long time), currently building webapps with React and all the things.

I'm feeling the itch to do something new in the evenings on my couch. Swift looks interesting, and it would be new. Is it worth it and good enough these days? I remember reading a lot of negative posts back when it released.
I could just use React Native, but right now I don't care for platforms, using iPhone, iPad, macOs... And React native would be more of the same I already do at work.

I have no interest in digging into Objective C, I never liked the language from the outside. Is it still mandatory to learn it in 2019 with SwiftUI on the horizon?

Thanks all, hearing about any experiences with Swift would be great!
I'd hold on till new books come out with SwiftUI

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
That’s probably a good idea. I don’t want to install a beta OS on my Mac though, I guess I’ll have to wait a little longer then

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Oh. I had no idea this is possible. Thanks!

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Good resource is Standfords CS193P. Excellent course by Paul Hegarty. Unfortunately, the Fall 2018/19 course is not available.
Latest course is iOS 11/Swift 4 available on iTunes U oder Youtube. Nevertheless its still relevant, really excellent, you should check it out. Lots of very good explanation, background and coding demos.

Reactions: millan123ta

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
what's the maximum you can do without paying Apple for the privilege? For instance, can you run code on your own devices without being tethered to a host mac?

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
what's the maximum you can do without paying Apple for the privilege? For instance, can you run code on your own devices without being tethered to a host mac?

Without paying it would appear that you can sign no more than 10 apps per week and you can have 3 installed on your own device at any one time.

There also used to be a limit where you could only connect 3 devices to your account. I assume that restriction still stands. I've not tried to add a fourth just yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerwin

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008

As was mentioned, you have a limit on the number of apps you can sign per week and have installed. In addition there are plenty of services you cannot use without paying for a developer account. For example, if you wanted to learn how to use CloudKit, or SiriKit, you'd be out of luck.

And it probably goes without saying, but anything beyond just signing an app for your device is outta the question. Even beta builds.

I suggest doing as much as you can without paying, and then only forking over the $99 when you're good and ready to publish an app to the store (or just absolutely have to use a service that a paid account is required for)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.