Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I have an 11" iPad Pro with cellular. I only really wanted cellular as a backup to my home wifi and an alternative to using my phone's hotspot - though it also means I can use GPS. Will rarely use it out and about.

Hence I've been looking for a very low data usage plan but avoiding signing up to monthly payments indefinitely. A couple of days ago I found RWG Mobile and have ordered a SIM using EE as actual carrier. (My phone is on Three so this represents an alternative/backup carrier. You can choose Vodafone but they are merging with Three so would not be a backup for me.) Only 100 MB per month - but that is almost certainly sufficient.

The SIM hasn't even arrived yet! So very much not an endorsement of their service. And small outfits have a tendency to go belly up after a while. But this is only something like three/four times the lowest cost of most monthly plans. Therefore I consider it a reasonable punt.

5 Year SIM data only​

£12.99
https://www.rwgmobile.wales/webshop/data-only/5-year-sim-data-only/

They also offer a one year version (at £4.99) and a Global SIM option (at an additional £10 on either plan).

Just for clarity: I have absolutely no connection with this company - didn't even know they existed until now. And despite the .wales domain, they do offer their services across the UK.

Be delighted if anyone adds other ultra-low cost/usage carrier options to the thread. It has been a much-ignored sector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.