Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lexie7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2022
Has anyone noticed a decrease in the quality of the leather cases this year? My 1.5 week old leather case slid out of my pocket onto a tiled floor from waist height and the frame cracked on the top left; the case was ruined from one fall. I had a leather case on my 11 pro max, which I dropped dozens of times and the case/frame is still intact.

I brought the cracked case to apple and I’m grateful that it was replaced. However, the new case is significantly misaligned. The top left and bottom right corners are not as tall as the other two corners. Consequently, the phone will not lock into place in those two corners And the lip Is not even all around. So now my phone won’t be properly protected. To make matters worse, the buttons are extremely hard to press (similar to the clear iPhone case). Unfortunately I feel like i have to suck it up and can’t ask for a replacement, as it’s my fault I’m in this predicament. I also noticed that the microfiber lining is not as plush, the frame itself appears thinner than prior years, and my new case felt like sandpaper out of the box. The initial case was perfect, which leads me to believe it may be a quality control issue. I’m very disappointed in the leather cases. A $60 case should not crack from a single fall. This may be my last year purchasing a leather case. I’m going to use the phone(s) without a case moving forward.

Does anyone else have a poorly constructed leather case?

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
To me it would be worth throwing away a $60 case that protected the phone than to go through the aggravation of having to replace the phone that the case saved.
And a decently protective case doesn't have to cost as much as $60.

Lexie7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2022
To me it would be worth throwing away a $60 case that protected the phone than to go through the aggravation of having to replace the phone that the case saved.
And a decently protective case doesn't have to cost as much as $60.
I have Apple Care +. So it would have been cheaper to replace the glass than to replace the case if the glass shattered. Plus I had to make a trip to the Apple Store anyway to replace the case. So no time lost really.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I have a Apple leather case for my 14 Pro Max. It seems fine to me.
It slipped out of my hand when putting it on my car charger mount and hit gear shift area. Case wasn’t damaged or the phone.
If the case would have been damaged and not the phone I consider that a win.

Anything can break or crack etc if it hits a surface at the right angle with the right amount of force. Just depends on circumstances beyond our control.

Reactions: shr631
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.