Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AEREC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
I know Griffen and DLO make leather cases that have a cover flap....are they available yet?

If not is there anyone who makes one of these right now?

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
I am waiting for the same exact thing - it's what I had on my previous iPT. It goes with me absolutely everywhere and I love not worrying about screen protectors and such. Unfortunately, I waited for that case on my iPT2 for about a year before they had them for sale.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I am using the 2G/3G Belkin one they sell thru the Apple Store. It's a little looser, but it does the trick as a storage case so she can throw it in her bag or in the car's center console and not worry about breaking it.

elfpix

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2010
you can use iphone cases

I spent about 45 mins this evening checking them out. They all seem to have something that doesn't work with my brand new iPod Touch 4Gen. So I'm not convinced that's the case.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Just received my Melkco "Book Type" (folio that opens along the long end) leather case from carrymobile.com. It took 15 days to arrive in California after ordering. It seems well made and fits the iPod nicely, with a couple of exceptions. The hole for the speaker near the connector port is too small; it doesn't reveal the entire speaker. Perhaps more importantly for some people, both cameras vignette in the upper right corner. If you don't want them to vignette, you have to pinch the top corner of the case a bit while taking a picture (to bring it closer to the surface of the iPod).

The iPod is very snug in the case; there is no way it could slip out inadvertently. This also means it takes a bit of a push to remove the iPod, but it's by no means difficult to get it out. The magnetic latch works well, and the lid flops open nice and flat when released.

The leather smells and feels like leather, though it must be a very thin, low-grade type with some padding inside. It will protect the iPod quite well in case of a fall and makes it easier to grip onto the iPod so that it won't fall in the first place.

It came with a belt clip and removable clip attachment.

For $28 shipped, I think it's a good value.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'd like to update what I said in my last post about the Melkco iPod touch case. I've now been using the case for several weeks and am really happy with it. I use the iPod heavily, carrying it around in various backpacks and purses, and yet the case still looks new. The leather is wearing gracefully, as leather ought to do.

I pair the iPod with an Apple wireless keyboard (a match made in heaven) and was thrilled to discovered that the Melkco case doubles as a stand to hold the iPod up at a nice angle. If you flip open the cover and snap the magnetic latch closed 'backwards' like this, the case will keep the iPod upright. I love it!

Here are some photos:

(click to enlarge)

Here are the iPod and keyboard packed up for travel. The slip case for the keyboard is one made by SFbags.com.

MelkcoCaseClosed1.jpg

And here they are in action.

MelkcoCaseStanding1.jpg

Another bonus of this case is that when it's held open, the flap on the left provides a bit of privacy if you are seated very close to someone else, as you might be on a plane or train. The flap obscures one side while my right hand blocks the other.

Also, the case makes the iPod very easy to grip onto when I'm walking around with it out (for example, while grocery shopping and using a list app on the iPod to check off which groceries I wanted to remember to buy). The bits that extend off of both sides act like handles in this regard, making it extremely unlikely that the iPod will ever slip out of my hand.

Sorry for the bad photo. I didn't feel like spending too much time on it:

MelkcoCaseCarrying.jpg

One final benefit seems to be protection from dust getting under the glass. The case covers the edges of the glass very well, so dust is less likely to get in there.

Anyway, I highly recommend this great little case!

broth

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
I'd like to update what I said in my last post about the Melkco iPod touch case. I've now been using the case for several weeks and am really happy with it. I use the iPod heavily, carrying it around in various backpacks and purses, and yet the case still looks new. The leather is wearing gracefully, as leather ought to do.

I pair the iPod with an Apple wireless keyboard (a match made in heaven) and was thrilled to discovered that the Melkco case doubles as a stand to hold the iPod up at a nice angle. If you flip open the cover and snap the magnetic latch closed 'backwards' like this, the case will keep the iPod upright. I love it!

Here are some photos:

(click to enlarge)

Here are the iPod and keyboard packed up for travel. The slip case for the keyboard is one made by SFbags.com.

MelkcoCaseClosed1.jpg

MelkcoCaseStanding1.jpg

Another bonus of this case is that when it's held open, the flap on the left provides a bit of privacy if you are seated very close to someone else, as you might be on a plane or train. The flap obscures one side while my right hand blocks the other.

Also, the case makes the iPod very easy to grip onto when I'm walking around with it out (for example, while grocery shopping and using a list app on the iPod to check off which groceries I wanted to remember to buy). The bits that extend off of both sides act like handles in this regard, making it extremely unlikely that the iPod will ever slip out of my hand.

MelkcoCaseCarrying.jpg

One final benefit seems to be protection from dust getting under the glass. The case covers the edges of the glass very well, so dust is less likely to get in there.

Quick question - I have heard that some of these cases extend over the edge of the keyboard so that is is tricky to input a letter on the edge, like the "P" or "Q". Is that true with this case? I am looking for some sort of book case.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Quick question - I have heard that some of these cases extend over the edge of the keyboard so that is is tricky to input a letter on the edge, like the "P" or "Q". Is that true with this case? I am looking for some sort of book case.

I just tried it to be sure and didn't have any problems. I have small fingers, so maybe it's easier for me. In a vertical orientation, the 'Q' is as accessible as any other key (the case leans to the left a bit there), and the 'P' key is accessible if I tilt my finger a bit to be more accurate with it. In a horizontal orientation, all keys are easily accessible.

Some apps have small 'buttons' in the upper right corner of the screen in the vertical orientation. These can also require a bit more care in how I poke my finger at them, but nothing is really tricky.

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
I'm going to be getting the Verve folio ( I think that was it) today or tomorrow, so I'll post some first impressions soon :)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'm going to be getting the Verve folio ( I think that was it) today or tomorrow, so I'll post some first impressions soon :)

I look forward to hearing what you think of the Verve folio. I really like the colored stitching on that one, but I wouldn't want one with a flap that opens upwards instead of to the left (is that all they have?). The sideways-opening flap seems more useful, since it serves as both a handle and a privacy shield. Also, I wonder if the Verve folio can prop up the iPod.

I'm very happy with the case I got, so I won't be buying another one, but it's always interesting to see what else is out there.

Panther71

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Cham-Bana, IL
I purchased a Proporta leather case and have not had many problems accessing the edges of the keyboard. I occasionally have problems with the key to switch from alphabet to numbers/symbols. Overall, I have been pleased with the case. I especially like the aluminum lining on the front flap, so my screen will be safe when I have my iPod Touch in my pocket. I was able to purchase this from Amazon for $29.95. The price has since gone up to its normal list price of $39.95.

Attachments

• 51wFB58lDrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51wFB58lDrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3,428

Bryopsis

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010

Here are some photos:

(click to enlarge)

MelkcoCaseClosed1.jpg

MelkcoCaseStanding1.jpg

MelkcoCaseCarrying.jpg

Phrasikleia, I was wondering if there's an opening at the bottom of the case to plug in the charger without having to take out the iPod Touch. I can't see it on the images.

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
Been a while, but finally got my Verve folio :) It's really nice, the material feels nice, the quality is great, and doesn't add any more bulk than needed. There's a rubber home button cover, which I love. The only thing I don't really like is that it's secured with velcro on the back, doesn't look quite as stylish. Still, great case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.