Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolguy879

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
I can't believe this isn't a feature. On WhatsApp and Kik you can easily leave group chats. Just use WhatsApp or Kik instead of ****** iMessage.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
bump. no option either for the turn off group chats with Rogers.

I'm guessing this is a carrier thing?

Either way. I want out of one and can't.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
group messages aren't iMessage. Group messages are simply a reply to all for SMS. This means it doesn't matter what you do to your phone. Someone else is hitting Reply-All.

I would love a method of ignoring texts for a particular thread for a period of time. This would solve it.

Another way to improve it is to change the vibration used for texts to a custom and shorter vibration which is slightly less annoying.

Vlk22

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
I love iMessage on the iPod touch 4g, but i've been included in this massive chat with 31 people incuding me, it's really frustrating and slowing my ipod down and it keeps beeping every time someone sends a message, which is alot. If anyone can think of a solution that would be great, and also if there could be some sort of update where you could take yourself out of them I would be so grateful, Thankyou!! :)

Vlk22

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
I love iMessage, but I've been included in this chat with 31 people including me, it's really frustrating every time it's beeps and also it has froze my iPod several times and it makes it take ages to turn on :(
I would be so happy If someone could think of a solution, and also would be very grateful if there was an update where you could take yourself out of chats. Thank you!

wilhub

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
Texas
Under Settings, you don't have this?

IMG_1835.PNG

IMG_1836.PNG

Thank you for posting this. I just found myself in a group iMessage.

My iPhone got lit up.

I woke up the other morning with 140 new messages. Today I had 40 in a hour.

I can leave my ringer on now and not worry about hearing my iPhone go off every few seconds.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thank you for posting this. I just found myself in a group iMessage.

My iPhone got lit up.

I woke up the other morning with 140 new messages. Today I had 40 in a hour.

I can leave my ringer on now and not worry about hearing my iPhone go off every few seconds.

It also helped me when I was able to get my friends who group message to turn this off as well; I received a lot less messages that way.

I think it's silly that this feature is enabled by default.

xGameXCraftx

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
Really getting annoyed with this

18 messages in under 2 minutes! Wow... my friend is talking to his gf while another guy is talking about Fifa and many other things. My I-Pod is just buzzing away. I hope Apple fix this...

emdub

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2005
Sintra, Portugal
I believe if you block a number on the list you'll block the whole conversation. I did this temporarily and the messages stopped...

I don't have the group messaging option to turn off either.

JPLindley12

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2014
Select MESSAGES from the home screen on your iPhone - click the upper right corner icon to create a new text - type in the name of one of the people included in the group text and it should show their main contact solely by itself as the first result and usually In BLUE letters and then 2nd result in search (the group message) should be in GREEN letters and should show contacts name u typed in followed by a comma, another name of someone in the group text, comma, then "..." So go ahead and select the group message in green text in search results by clicking the letter "i" which is in a small circle to the far right next to the group message in search results - after that it will have an option at top right corner "REMOVE" - click REMOVE and a prompt will pop up asking "are u sure u want to remove this recent group?" And then right below that will be an icon that reads "remove from recents" in red bold text - click "remove from recents" - this will prevent words used in an insanely long group text from being results in any search after u delete the saved text scroll from messages... As for escaping an annoying group text with many parties messaging every 2 seconds the only way would be to go to the group text and select the "contacts" icon in the upper right corner and then when names drop down next to each on the right will be an "i" with circle around it (info) and you would need to select the "i" icon to the right of a name and then when their contact info pops up select "edit" in the upper right corner and then at bottom of edit contact select "block this contact/caller" and confirm block when prompted for each person u wish to block... I would select those in the group who seems to be text blasting the most and that should simmer down the annoying audible notifications to a certain degree... Also if u block these people they will not be able to see your replies in group messages u send yourself and WHILE THEY ARE BLOCKED you will not be able to see their messages in the group BUT if u keep the text log in your messages (if u don't delete the text history in messages before you unblock contacts blocked temporarily in group message) then once u unblock those people the messages you sent while they were blocked will appear in their group message history as if they were texts just sent in the group even if they were from a week ago and they will just appear that way - if u swipe finger on text and push to left it will show time and date stamp from when u actually sent it... Same goes with u for their texts sent while u had them blocked... If u don't delete the text history of the group then those text blasters messages will all appear in an insane rush all at once when they become unblocked... So before unblock those text blasters make sure u delete the group text history before u unblock them to prevent a million texts at once and also before u unblock them disable the group messages feature in settings under "messages" for a little while then once u delete the group text data and remove from recent history and unblock the group members u blocked u won't have your phone going off for 2 straight hours every half second from backed up old messages that were sent while u had people blocked... Sorry if this is confusing - I hate there is no one swipe solution in settings to this but I've done this on my phone and it worked well for me because seems at least in my group texts that there are 1 or 2 people doing 95% of the texting in the group and also they happen to be the sort of person who will send what could have been a single text broken up into like 10 texts as to make their messages more dramatic so anyways yeah I hope this helps someone and hopefully in a month when iP6,1 comes out there will be some sort of feature to exclude yourself from group messages u wish not to be a part of... Let me know if any questions on this and once again sorry for the novel

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Select MESSAGES from the home screen on your iPhone - click the upper right corner icon to create a new text - type in the name of one of the people included in the group text and it should show their main contact solely by itself as the first result and usually In BLUE letters and then 2nd result in search (the group message) should be in GREEN letters and should show contacts name u typed in followed by a comma, another name of someone in the group text, comma, then "..." So go ahead and select the group message in green text in search results by clicking the letter "i" which is in a small circle to the far right next to the group message in search results - after that it will have an option at top right corner "REMOVE" - click REMOVE and a prompt will pop up asking "are u sure u want to remove this recent group?" And then right below that will be an icon that reads "remove from recents" in red bold text - click "remove from recents" - this will prevent words used in an insanely long group text from being results in any search after u delete the saved text scroll from messages... As for escaping an annoying group text with many parties messaging every 2 seconds the only way would be to go to the group text and select the "contacts" icon in the upper right corner and then when names drop down next to each on the right will be an "i" with circle around it (info) and you would need to select the "i" icon to the right of a name and then when their contact info pops up select "edit" in the upper right corner and then at bottom of edit contact select "block this contact/caller" and confirm block when prompted for each person u wish to block... I would select those in the group who seems to be text blasting the most and that should simmer down the annoying audible notifications to a certain degree... Also if u block these people they will not be able to see your replies in group messages u send yourself and WHILE THEY ARE BLOCKED you will not be able to see their messages in the group BUT if u keep the text log in your messages (if u don't delete the text history in messages before you unblock contacts blocked temporarily in group message) then once u unblock those people the messages you sent while they were blocked will appear in their group message history as if they were texts just sent in the group even if they were from a week ago and they will just appear that way - if u swipe finger on text and push to left it will show time and date stamp from when u actually sent it... Same goes with u for their texts sent while u had them blocked... If u don't delete the text history of the group then those text blasters messages will all appear in an insane rush all at once when they become unblocked... So before unblock those text blasters make sure u delete the group text history before u unblock them to prevent a million texts at once and also before u unblock them disable the group messages feature in settings under "messages" for a little while then once u delete the group text data and remove from recent history and unblock the group members u blocked u won't have your phone going off for 2 straight hours every half second from backed up old messages that were sent while u had people blocked... Sorry if this is confusing - I hate there is no one swipe solution in settings to this but I've done this on my phone and it worked well for me because seems at least in my group texts that there are 1 or 2 people doing 95% of the texting in the group and also they happen to be the sort of person who will send what could have been a single text broken up into like 10 texts as to make their messages more dramatic so anyways yeah I hope this helps someone and hopefully in a month when iP6,1 comes out there will be some sort of feature to exclude yourself from group messages u wish not to be a part of... Let me know if any questions on this and once again sorry for the novel
Well, leaving group chats is an option that will be there in iOS 8. As for blocking users, while it's sort of a workaround of sorts, it's not necessarily a good one (although might be needed if some solution is truly desperately needed), but more importantly it would only apply to iOS 7 and above (and perhaps jailbroken phone with a tweak for something like that), not so much to iOS 5 and earlier.

Umaimah2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2014
Solution! ;)

So i have had the same problem and i couldnt figure it out! Im not sure if this was in the iOS 7 as well, but after i got the iOS 8, i went to that group chat and where the massages where, on the top right corner i clicked "details" and at the bottom i clicked "leave conversation" i never got a message from that group after that! Lastly i just clicked on the top left corner where it said "edit" and then removed all the previous group messages completley! Hope this helps and sorry if it didnt work ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So i have had the same problem and i couldnt figure it out! Im not sure if this was in the iOS 7 as well, but after i got the iOS 8, i went to that group chat and where the massages where, on the top right corner i clicked "details" and at the bottom i clicked "leave conversation" i never got a message from that group after that! Lastly i just clicked on the top left corner where it said "edit" and then removed all the previous group messages completley! Hope this helps and sorry if it didnt work ;)
Probably not much help for those with iOS 5 and earlier (given that this thread is for that group of users essentially).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.