Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FRRYY

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
This Powerbook is my first laptop, not to mention my first Mac.

I'm just wondering, how bad is it to leave it on constantly??

I usually leave it on and put it to sleep when I don't need it (about a 5-6hrs on sleep).

Am I damaging my PB by doing this?
any harm to the battery?

thanks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Welcome to Macs. :)

Sleeping it is fine. Just make sure its ventilation outlets aren't covered during intensive work and calibrate the battery once every month or so and you'll be set. FWIW, calibrating the battery means running it completely flat and then fully charging it again afterwards.

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I rarely turn my powerbook off. And I dont put it to sleep much either and mines doin good.

atomcoeur

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2005
London
not to worry, macs are meant to stay on all the time - I've had my pbook Ti for 3 years and the only times i have ever shut down was when I took it on planes or when it crashed (which was rare anw) - obviously if it's not doing anything it's good for it to take a rest and sleep but no need to shut down.

As for the battery - if you have the pb on the power supply all the time just take out the battery (saves it from overheating also).

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
whenever i am not using mine, i put them to sleep. my gf tends to leave the lid open and keep it turned on all the time. i usually tell her not to do that but it doesn't seem to hurt the powerbook so it's probably ok.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I never turn off my PB and only put it to sleep when it's in transit. This hasn't caused any problems at all, so don't worry, you won't be doing any harm to your new PB. Just enjoy it! ;)

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
I have a similar question. I have heard of Apple computers needing to "run scripts" although I don't know what that means. I leave my powerbook on sleep every night, can it still run scripts when needed or do I need to schedule it to do so in iCal when it is up and running.

Also, how often.

RD

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
crdean1 said:
I have a similar question. I have heard of Apple computers needing to "run scripts" although I don't know what that means. I leave my powerbook on sleep every night, can it still run scripts when needed or do I need to schedule it to do so in iCal when it is up and running.

Also, how often.

RD

You can run the following scripts manually in Terminal:

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic monthly
sudo periodic weekly
sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

Or get Onyx.

As far as the battery goes - run it dead once a month, and then charge it to stir up the electrons. Don't leave it plugged in for months at a time without doing this.

FRRYY

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
sweet. thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.:)

BTW, I also didn't know calibrating the battery had to be done monthly. I just thought it had to be done once when u first got it.

In any case, I'll make sure to calibrate it once a month. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It needs to be done every now and then, especially if you mainly leave the thing plugged into the wall. Once a month is idea but to be honest, it's a pretty loose rule of thumb.

The idea behind it is to prevent overcharging the battery which is bad for it - calibration reminds the computer just how much 100% charge is. :)

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
iGary said:
You can run the following scripts manually in Terminal:

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic monthly
sudo periodic weekly
sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

Or get Onyx.

As far as the battery goes - run it dead once a month, and then charge it to stir up the electrons. Don't leave it plugged in for months at a time without doing this.

Or just get anacron - then you don't have to remeber to run them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.