Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

travisc555

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2019
Trying to get the leave/arrive at home automation working and it’s not. I have my iPhone and watch as My Location devices in Find My settings and find my is on. Only other Apple product I have is an Apple TV. I have location services turned on for the home app, HomeKit has location access too. I have tried deleting the automation and making it again to see if it would work and it didn’t. Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you have an appleTV, so this should be a yes, but does the home app work when you're away from home?
The aTV should forward control outside your home, and those automations should happen when you're no longer on your home network. If you can't control when you're away from home, those automations won't work.

If you can control away from home, try rebooting the aTV, that should reset any automations. Sometimes signing out of your iCloud account on the aTV and signing back in can help also.
If you can't control away from home, then you need to start troubleshooting why.

If cell coverage is weak or spotty as you drive away from your home, that can also affect those automations being able to run.

Is your home location correct? it should automatically pull that info from your contact card. You can also adjust it in the maps app.

If you get the eve app, you can manually set the address of your home.
The eve app is a third party HomeKit app, just grant it access to your home, and all devices and automations will be in both eve and the home app. It's free, and doesn't require any eve devices to use.

or there are a few options in this reddit thread of how to fix a wrong location
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/kz7ay3

travisc555

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2019
you have an appleTV, so this should be a yes, but does the home app work when you're away from home?
The aTV should forward control outside your home, and those automations should happen when you're no longer on your home network. If you can't control when you're away from home, those automations won't work.

If you can control away from home, try rebooting the aTV, that should reset any automations. Sometimes signing out of your iCloud account on the aTV and signing back in can help also.
If you can't control away from home, then you need to start troubleshooting why.

If cell coverage is weak or spotty as you drive away from your home, that can also affect those automations being able to run.

Is your home location correct? it should automatically pull that info from your contact card. You can also adjust it in the maps app.

If you get the eve app, you can manually set the address of your home.
The eve app is a third party HomeKit app, just grant it access to your home, and all devices and automations will be in both eve and the home app. It's free, and doesn't require any eve devices to use.

or there are a few options in this reddit thread of how to fix a wrong location
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/kz7ay3
Thank you! Apparently location services was turned off for HomeKit on the atv. After turning that on it all works now.

Reactions: waw74
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.