Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
Well here is a story, me and my friend got our macbooks around the same time, and well mine went through 78 cycles and his went through 44. my baterry health is at 94 and his is at 100%. Well i do understand the wear out of the battery, but i clearly remember mine being at like 97-96% when i was at 44 or so cycles, waht am i doing wrong? is there a proper storage and use of the battery guide. I am aware of taking it out as soon as it is full and just keep laptop runing on the AC, but if i want to store my notebook for a while, like a week or two without using the battery, what percentage do i keep the battery charge at? IF you guys know some pages on a better usage of the batteryt hat would be actually great, all help appreciated!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Check out the site below, it will have answers to all your questions.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Short answers: long term storage, reduce to 50% charge

Nowadays you can leave the battery in when it's fully charged with the AC still in. There is no problem with that, it won't drain, but Apple does recommend you drain it every ~1 month. NOTE: all of the macbooks will not operate at full speed without the battery (without battery, all chips run at ~1 gigagertz afaik).

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
It's very battery dependent too. a 3 percent difference isn't that much at all, and there may be nothing that you did (or didn't do) to cause it.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
take the battery out if you want, i take mine out after charging it and put it back in the next morning fully charged ready for uni. a 5% difference in health isnt really going to be all that different.

and by the way i hope you know that by taking out the battery your CPU will clock back to 1ghz.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
NOTE: all of the macbooks will not operate at full speed without the battery (without battery, all chips run at ~1 gigagertz afaik).

Where is that information from? I can't find it on the Apple site. My blackbook shipped with a DOA battery and I'm waiting on a new one, so should I expect to see a speed boost once I get that in?

jag0009

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008

From the above link
"If the battery is removed from a MacBook or MacBook Pro, the computer will automatically reduce the processor speed. This prevents the computer from shutting down if it demands more power than the A/C adaptor alone can provide."

This bugs the hell out of me. Why would the CPU speed be reduced when A/C is connected and battery removed??? I don't get this one. On most laptop the powersaving features (cpu speed as well) would get turned off when the unit is running of the A/C adaptor. Does that mean the A/C adaptor can blow up or get caught on fire????:confused:

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Good point, I never take the battery out, just run it on battery power every day or two and then recharge.

If you have the battery out when someone trips/pulls out your power cord, well I don't even want to think about what happens next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.