Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
Hi,

I was wondering is it bad for the iPhone to be in the dock with the power connected?

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
If you leave it docked for longer than 24 hours, it emits a high-pitched, shrieking wail that will curdle milk, awaken the neighborhood, and make you weep. This is expected behavior, and is a simple indication of loneliness.

No. You can't overcharge an iPhone. When it has enough, it will stop charging.

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
What are you on about mate, just say no, wasting time.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
What are you on about mate, just say no, wasting time.

I am sure he didn't mean to waste that 5 seconds of your precious life. Maybe if you can't read very fast it took you 30 seconds. Regardless, he was being funny and trying to have a good time. Maybe next time you can add to your question that you will only accept short, quick, to-the-point answers and all others will be rejected.

Now look at time you caused me to waste in response to your answer to his answer... And all you had to do is quickly and politely say "Thanks". I am sorry if I wasted another minute (or three if you don't read very fast) of your precious time. I am glad that I am here just killing time. So for me I have all the time in the world...

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
If you leave it docked for longer than 24 hours, it emits a high-pitched, shrieking wail that will curdle milk, awaken the neighborhood, and make you weep. This is expected behavior, and is a simple indication of loneliness.

No. You can't overcharge an iPhone. When it has enough, it will stop charging.

:D Made my day - and actually I was wondering the same thing. I've heard stories of toasted iPhones or browned chrome or Apple logo, similar to those they sell at carnivals on a stick. Never believed it though. Good to know I won't burn my house down!

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
If there's something defective in the iPhone, sure, it might toast, but a normally functioning phone can be left in the dock full time without issue. As a slight aside, if you're using the included AC adapter, just make sure you've got the green dot version.

tayshon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
Philly, PA
We leave ours on the dock all night, then when we leave to go to work we plug it in the car. When it's done it will just stop charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.