Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caktusaurus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Hi!

I must have gotten two "lemons" in a row, since I've now had two MacBooks with horrible backlight bleed at the bottom. The viewing angle is not great either, but at least (somewhat) adjustable - although the tilting angle on Apple laptop screens are quite limited.

I really want a MacBook though (since it's perfect in every other way), so my question is: do you think an LED upgrade for the MacBook (if there is one in June) is worth waiting for? Will the probability/severeness of backlight bleeding be less?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
a revision in june is highly speculative, and you could be waiting a very long time. but if you can afford the wait, why not?

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
More to the point, since there is no guarantee that the Macbooks will EVER get LED-backlit screens, you might as well buy one now if you want one, since you could conceivably be waiting forever for that update.

Halsey12

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2006
Portland
I run my LED MacBook Pro with the lid closed. It looks awful next to the 23" Apple Cinema Display. Both have been calibrated with hardware, and that helped a bit on the LED, but it still lacks contrast and saturation severely.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
More to the point, since there is no guarantee that the Macbooks will EVER get LED-backlit screens, you might as well buy one now if you want one, since you could conceivably be waiting forever for that update.

apple did announce intentions to move their entire product lineup to led backlit screens at some point, so it will happen. it's just a question of when.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
apple did announce intentions to move their entire product lineup to led backlit screens at some point, so it will happen. it's just a question of when.

Okay, I didn't realize that. But still, for all we know "at some point" is two years in the future for the consumer line. And since the entire portable line was just updated (and the MBA is less than two months old), I think it's probably a safe assumption that a major update like that is at least six months away. I'd call it silly to wait based just on this.

VideoShooter

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2004
One of the best parts of Apple computers is that they hold their resale value.

So - buy a Macbook.

When they release a LED backlit version... sell your old one.

Then buy a new one with LED backlighting!

You're dollars will go even further if you buy a refurb.

I bought a black macbook recently myself - refurb.

When the NEW Macbook Pro's are released - with Montevino processors and a whole new redesign in July or August - I'm burning $3K on a 17 inch badass.

Till then - I'm happy with my pimp little blackbook that cost me $1050.

:)

Koreos

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Interesting topic, I will be purchasing a Macbook in august, just before school starts.
Is it possible that Apple gives another revision to the MB before that? How often have they been upgrading their products?

Fezzasus

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
I think you need to fully understand the pros and cons of a LED backlit screen before assuming that they will be better.

Cons:

They have a similar lifespan to current CCFL backlights

They are currently less energetically efficient than CCFL (they have the potential to be better though)

They cost more than CCFL (currently)

Pros:

They are less toxic to the environment.

I can't see much reason to want an LED backlit LCD at the moment, It's good to see apple and other companies move towards them, but there's little to no benefit to the consumer.

caktusaurus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I think you need to fully understand the pros and cons of a LED backlit screen before assuming that they will be better.

This was my intention with this thread. I'm a bit worried I'm waiting for something that won't make a big difference. However, I've had two MacBooks at home (and sent back) because of backlight bleeding issues. My question was if LED backlighting lessens this problem, or if it doesn't matter since it all boils down to the TN panel technology used and how well the LCD will be able to block out the backlight when showing black colors? I've actually seen good CCFL-backlit displays.

They have a similar lifespan to current CCFL backlights

Yes, that is supposed to be true. But I've read somewhere that CCFL backlights fade while LED ones don't. Is that correct?

They are currently less energetically efficient than CCFL (they have the potential to be better though)

This is quite the opposite of what I've heard. Aren't one of the main pros of LED's that they consume less power?

They cost more than CCFL (currently)

Can't argue with that! :)

They are less toxic to the environment.

This is nice, but hardly worth waiting for as I see it.

I can't see much reason to want an LED backlit LCD at the moment, It's good to see apple and other companies move towards them, but there's little to no benefit to the consumer.

This is where I'm trying to make up my mind.

caktusaurus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I'm sorry you don't think helping the environment is worth waiting for.

I hope you know what I meant. This pro is overshadowed by the others from a consumer point of view. Do you own any electrical appliances that contain hazardous substances? I'm sure you do. We all do. How many in here do you think would wait another 6 months before buying if mercury-free backlights were the only benefit? Not many, I think. And it's not always a matter of choice. Instead you should be sorry for Apple not having transitioned to LED in their consumer line notebook yet, when companies like Dell have.

Could this be accurate?
http://www.ecopcreview.com/node/52

PS.
I prefer helping the environment in other ways: I don't drive, instead I ride my bicycle to wherever I'm going. Whenever I'm going far away, I try to use avoid using fossil-fueled public transportations (like buses) in favor of trams and trains. At home, I recycle and tend a compost pile. All in all, I'm keeping my CO2 footprint small.
DS.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
No, if the MBA tests are any indication, then the boost in battey life will be insignificant.

Macintosh Sauce

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2006
USA
I was pondering the same thing, but at 5:30 a.m. this morning I decided I am not going to wait any longer. Especially, after reading the black plastic on the new black MacBook is actually black plastic and not painted over like previous models.

Getting it tomorrow - woohoo! :)

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
There is ZERO evidence MB will get LED screens. I don't know why people get all hyped up on lies and hopes and when the REAL upgraded MB come they get all prissy and cry.

Don't say something is coming simply because you want it. MB will probably NOT get LED screens because it would make them too close to the MBP.

benjaminbr

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
I applaud you environmental ethic, especially the composting; and I'm aware about the mountain of chemicals sitting on my desk, which has prompted me to buy most stuff second hand. (craigslist is awsome!) I guess my issue was the separation of the consumer and the environmentalist within.

This pro is overshadowed by the others from a consumer point of view.

I just think the environmental aspect of a consumer's purchase (and any other decision) should come before other aspects. As you can see on your link, LED's seem to be well worth the wait, if you can. Personally, i'm waiting too. I want my next laptop to last as long as my first, the ol' 12" 867, which is still chugging along. (the irony is that the only malfunction with the 12" is the backlight, which is fading in the middle of the screen.)

sculptor

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
To the OP, if you need a Macbook, get one now. I'd suggest the 2.4 white one. You can upgrade the Memory, and if your adventurous and need it the Hard Drive.

Because of the new Intel platform the Macbook will get updated with it eventually. The last several updates before this one were 6 months apart. So Apple knows we do not expect an update before that, unless there's other pressure for them to do an update earlier I doubt they will.

........Curtis

scotty56

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Oregon
Everyone seems to get pretty excited when a screen goes LED, but aside from the environmental pros and a brighter picture, what else makes LEDs that much better?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Everyone seems to get pretty excited when a screen goes LED, but aside from the environmental pros and a brighter picture, what else makes LEDs that much better?

LEDs have many advantages over CCFLs..

- uses less power
- Higher color gamut
- thinner
- faster response times
- brightness does not degrade over time
- more rugged/higher reliability

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
LEDs have many advantages over CCFLs..

- uses less power
- Higher color gamut
- thinner
- faster response times
- brightness does not degrade over time
- more rugged/higher reliability

Doesn't matter to me! I bought a blk refurb last week and IM glad I did. The way I see it if ya keep waiting and waiting for the next gen you will always be waiting. Cause there will always be new technology which will be more environmentally friendly coming down the pipe!

Buy now and enjoy it! I sure wouldn't be on a guilt trip because it's not the latest GREEN technology. It will all come in time, but for now it is what it is! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.