Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
My left AirPod Pro dies sitting in the charging case overnight. The right one will be at 100% and the left one will be at 1% or completely dead. If I pull it out and put it back it, it will charge up. But then left alone, it will be dead again the next day.

I did a factory reset, and reconnected to my devices yesterday. And I cleaned the charging tips and case with some isopropyl alcohol. And it happened again last night, the left airpod pro completely dead this morning.

Has anyone experienced and and found a solution? I’m outside warranty so Apple is probably no help — but I still plan to call when I’ve got time.

Thanks!

NCnewbie

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2017
I had that happen with the regular AirPods. I tried all sorts of things, like you. I ended up ordering a replacement charging case and it's worked fine so far (I think it's been about a year since I got the new case). It's a relatively expensive fix, but still cheaper than buying new ones (and I didn't have AppleCare).

Sullivan0930

Suspended
Oct 14, 2021
this literally happened to me last night. I had them in the case and plugged in, came home and only one had juice. Happens one out of 100 times it seems, but when it does its the worst.

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
It was happening regularly for a couple weeks. I cleaned the case and airports with q-tips and IPA, and it happened again, and then hasn’t happened since for a couple weeks.

So…I don’t know? Random, but working for now.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I have had something similar but not the same happening. I will share some details just so that we can compare. In both cases the right bud was charged up to 80 %, the left was at 20 % and the case was dead. In both cases I saw that the Airpods Pro have tried to connect to my phone overnight (have Shortcut automation when the APP are connected to my phone). I have optimized charging on so in a lot of cases the bud would be charged up to 80 % and not 100 %.

Either way so far my assumption was that if the case does not have enough charge to charge both buds sufficiently, it would charge only one of them so that at least one bud can be used while the case and the other one are charging. Not sure if this is the case though.

In your case guys what was the battery level of the case?

scoobysnax

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2016
I am having the exact same issue; also out of warranty as well. I may bring them to the apple store and see what happens.

Brachaci

Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
I am having the exact same issue; also out of warranty as well. I may bring them to the apple store and see what happens.
I’m having the same problem with my right AirPod Pro. It happened 3 or 4 times and I own them for 9 months so far. It starts charging the drained airpod right away I put it back to charging case.

Could be sw related but I am curious if it was recognized as manufacturing issue for somebody?

phrekaru

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2017
Medellin, Antioquia
Optimizing charging ??

137F6F49-4FB1-4522-8273-685B1E253A4E.jpeg

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've had this happen a few times. The battery connection "looked" clean but was not clean. I used a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol to clean the contacts on the AirPods and the contacts in the bottom of the case. Night and day difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.