Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020

The web is getting more and more bloated. Even with TenFourFox FPR 32 Intel on Snow Leopard (2.93GHz, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA 9600M GT 512MB) the modern YouTube.com is unusable due to how slow everything functions (even with uBlock legacy).

Yes, I know there are other browser options and tweaks, but I think it's an uphill battle, espically as YouTube starts phasing out support for the Firefox code base of many of the Browsers that older OS X version have available. Introducing this GitHub page I found: Alternative-Front-Ends. It is a list of open source alternative front ends for popular websites like Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, etc. These alternative front ends can be way less demanding performance wise (think RAM and CPU usage) while also being more compatible with the available browsers based on the older FireFox code base.

Below is a W.I.P. list of alternative front ends for Popular Websites, and the compatibility with various Mac OS X browsers. These front ends should be tested regularly as we have seen sites like ytprivate.com be taken down. This is a wiki post, please edit and update this list if this info interests you.

Also, it may be worth looking into hosting one of these yourself, you can make it http only and more compatible with older browsers.

Frontend Website | Website Frontend Is For | Frontend Software

yewtu.be - youtube.com - Invidious
TenFourFox FPR 32 i386 - Works great.
Safari v5.0.5 Snow Leopard - SSL/ceritifcate error, unusable.

old.reddit.com - reddit.com - official site

teddit.net - - reddit.com - Teddit

nitter.42l.fr - twitter.com - Nitter

Last edited:

The web is getting more and more bloated. Even with TenFourFox FPR 32 Intel on Snow Leopard (2.93GHz, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA 9600M GT 512MB) the modern YouTube.com is unusable due to how slow everything functions (even with uBlock legacy).

Yes, I know there are other browser options and tweaks, but I think it's an uphill battle, espically as YouTube starts phasing out support for the Firefox code base of many of the Browsers that older OS X version have available. Introducing this GitHub page I found: Alternative-Front-Ends. It is a list of open source alternative front ends for popular websites like Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, etc. These alternative front ends can be way less demanding performance wise (think RAM and CPU usage) while also being more compatible with the available browsers based on the older FireFox code base.

Below is a W.I.P. list of alternative front ends for Popular Websites, and the compatibility with various Mac OS X browsers. These front ends should be tested regularly as we have seen sites like ytprivate.com be taken down. This is a wiki post, please edit and update this list if this info interests you.

Also, it may be worth looking into hosting one of these yourself, you can make it http only and more compatible with older browsers.

Frontend Website | Website Frontend Is For | Frontend Software

yewtu.be - youtube.com - Invidious

old.reddit.com - reddit.com - official site

nitter.42l.fr - twitter.com - Nitter

I’m thinking a clearer, shorter way to say “Alternative Light/Fast Front-Ends Of Popular Websites Compatible With Legacy Browsers” might be “Legacy Springboards for Commercial Web Services” — “springboard”, in the spirit of “box” from “TenFourFoxBox”, by underscoring how all of these are front-end UIs for proprietary, commercial web platforms.

Even “Legacy Springboards for Commercial Web Services” deserves to be something more pithy and to the point, but may as well get the ball rolling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.