Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
LOL!!! Yeah, me, too -- don't think they would want mine, either, especially the closer I'm edging towards (gasp!) 80.....

That aside, the Q3 is really not in my wheelhouse in terms of my established annual allotted spending allowance on photography gear unless I traded in some of my current Sony gear which I'm not about to do, since, gee, I'm still quite happy using it! At this point I much prefer the versatility of interchangeable lenses, but if I were actually in the market for paring down to just one camera, only one really good compact camera -- and, yes, no compromises, full-frame sensor, mind you -- with an excellent fixed lens which has options for flexibility in the shooting approach, and current up to date features that truly offer a lot for one's expenditure, yes, I suppose I'd find a way to incorporate this nice Q3 into my photographic lifestyle..... After, yes, as Scepticalscribe wisely suggests, reading the reviews (or as seems to be the direction in which things are going now, viewing the video reviews).

Maybe when I'm 85 and no longer able to carry around heavier gear and deal with multiple lenses I'll be able to pick up a used Q3 for a somewhat reasonable price (surely it would be much less expensive by then?!! LOL!) and then have it as my only camera.

In the meantime, all those who have been itching for this thing to become available and who can afford it, who aren't just following the lead of some supposed trend-setter "influencer" (often rich) young kids the way that apparently has happened with at least one other major camera brand, someone who can appreciate and really know how to get the benefit from this camera's functions and features -- go for it!

If I had a Q2 right now, I'd definitely be tempted by this new offering....

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
In the meantime, all those who have been itching for this thing to become available and who can afford it, who aren't just following the lead of some supposed trend-setter "influencer" (often rich) young kids the way that apparently has happened with at least one other major camera brand, someone who can appreciate and really know how to get the benefit from this camera's functions and features -- go for it!
I assume by an "influencer" company you mean Sony?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Could be. I know it's the "influencers" on TikTok who have caused most of the shortage of the Fujifilm X100V and the consequent mayhem on pricing
We have so many of those X100V’s on back order at work at the moment. Very popular camera.
We don’t sell Leica but I’d expect there to be a shortage of those as well.
Chips being the main issue as always.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
My point really is that every camera brand (and nearly every product in general) has a set of influencers now. They are part of the world that we live in. We can take useful things from their pitches, we can ignore them, or we can complain about them.

Complaining about something over which you have absolutely no control is pointless and negative. It doesn't solve a problem, and it just pushes your unhappiness on to someone else.

I'm on enough camera forums to know the Q3 is being met with mixed reviews, but I'm sure that for whatever metrics Leica is using it will be a success. I'm also on enough camera forums to know that while some Fuji bodies have been hyped by non-Fuji-paying influencers, Fuji people love them and they have qualities that make them work well for some people. I'm on enough camera forums to know that Canon, Nikon, and Sony also have their fair share of influencers, both paid and unpaid. But since I don't watch YouTube or TikTok I really don't know who any of them are, except for a couple of names of some YTers who are typically widely disliked.

At the end of the day, a camera is a tool that helps us create art. Who cares if some influencer likes it or not? To me personally, influencers are irrelevant and I can't tell you who hypes what camera, and most of the time I can't even tell you what brand people are using. In learning more about photography, I'm more keen to know what focal length and perhaps what lens or film stock someone used if it's a more vintage type of look. Camera bodies are a dime a dozen nowadays and they all do basically the same thing. I'm confident enough in my own work not to keep looking for the next body down the line hoping it will make me better. If I get a new body or lens, it needs to offer something different than what I already have, because I have enough gear to last me the rest of my life.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
and who can afford it, who aren't just following the lead of some supposed trend-setter "influencer" (often rich) young kids the way that apparently has happened with at least one other major camera brand,
I have to wonder about those snotty nose "influencers" getting the latest and greatest. While they monetize it on YouTube, with their stream of videos, do they use their daddy's credit card, shoot the video, then return it before the credit card bill is due?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have to wonder about those snotty nose "influencers" getting the latest and greatest. While they monetize it on YouTube, with their stream of videos, do they use their daddy's credit card, shoot the video, then return it before the credit card bill is due?
If they have enough followers, they will get it loaned or given for free.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
We have so many of those X100V’s on back order at work at the moment. Very popular camera.
We don’t sell Leica but I’d expect there to be a shortage of those as well.
Chips being the main issue as always.
Oh dear, sorry AFB. I've not been around much and have just found your reply. Thanks for ignoring when I disappear and still speaking to me! I know Fuji have boosted production to try to keep up with demand but it keeps growing. I had my name down for an X100V at several camera stores then John Lewis were expecting some in and I put my name down and I had one about a week or ten days later. Probably lucky to order at the right time. They still don't have any in the stores but it's worth someone putting their name down with JL. Can't do any harm 😊 I'm sorry there's no Photography Show this year, though maybe you're not of the same mind!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Oh dear, sorry AFB. I've not been around much and have just found your reply. Thanks for ignoring when I disappear and still speaking to me! I know Fuji have boosted production to try to keep up with demand but it keeps growing. I had my name down for an X100V at several camera stores then John Lewis were expecting some in and I put my name down and I had one about a week or ten days later. Probably lucky to order at the right time. They still don't have any in the stores but it's worth someone putting their name down with JL. Can't do any harm 😊 I'm sorry there's no Photography Show this year, though maybe you're not of the same mind!
We had a few come in and straight out again. I ordered another 6 today.
Glad you got yours. Don’t forget to post some shots.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Influencers are the new sponsored photographer or brand ambassador.

Many buying the Q3 aren't your typical Leica M user. Many of these old timer thumb their noses on the Leica Q3's modernity.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
We had a few come in and straight out again. I ordered another 6 today.
Glad you got yours. Don’t forget to post some shots.
Will do! I want to get used to it. I’ve only had it a few days and it seems more contrasty than the F. Not going to give up on it though, I’ve waited a long time for an X100 series camera with a flip screen and weather sealing 🙂

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Will do! I want to get used to it. I’ve only had it a few days and it seems more contrasty than the F. Not going to give up on it though, I’ve waited a long time for an X100 series camera with a flip screen and weather sealing 🙂
i have one. it’s super fun. 🙂 but if you are coming from an older model you already know this.

Reactions: Ish

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
i have one. it’s super fun. 🙂 but if you are coming from an older model you already know this.
Yes I do! And yes it is! I've had several models through the years, not all of them but a few. Did you find more contrast on the V at the beginning? I guess it's okay to go off topic after so long a gap. I started to reply this morning and had to leave it, since when I've downloaded the photes and noticed that the picture on the LCD looks over contrasty compared with the pictures after I've downloaded them

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Influencers are the new sponsored photographer or brand ambassador.

Many buying the Q3 aren't your typical Leica M user. Many of these old timer thumb their noses on the Leica Q3's modernity.
Aside from video and AF, the Q3 and M11-series are very similar menu and sensor-wise. They're not that far apart and I know a fair few M & Q shooters. As an M-shooter, there are still some intriguing features with the Q. No need for anyone to thumb their noses :D.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Aside from video and AF, the Q3 and M11-series are very similar menu and sensor-wise. They're not that far apart and I know a fair few M & Q shooters. As an M-shooter, there are still some intriguing features with the Q. No need for anyone to thumb their noses :D.

Check out the Leica M forums and ask their opinion about the Q... they call it an overgrown point & shoot.

I have a X Type 113 and love it! Just wish it had a larger image sensor though but it is better than a Fuji!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As a far too occasional M shooter myself, I shall read your thoughts and experience with interest.

Reactions: r.harris1

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Since this thread was specifically about the announcement of the new Leica Q3, those members on here who are interested in Fuji cameras and use them might just want to start a new discussion about Fuji cameras and models....
Sorry Clix Pix, I thought that discussion was over. You're quite right, will do.

Reactions: Clix Pix

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Check out the Leica M forums and ask their opinion about the Q... they call it an overgrown point & shoot.

I have a X Type 113 and love it! Just wish it had a larger image sensor though but it is better than a Fuji!
I've definitely read the various forums and I've seen the chatter :). And while opinions are just that, calling the Q an overgrown point-and-shoot seems a rather short-sighted conclusion for those forums to make. Maybe an over-priced X100V :D? And despite the squawking on the internet, the fact is that the Q has been a remarkable seller for Leica. They're laughing all the way to the bank in that classic way.

To me it's good to call it what it is: a fixed-lens compact-ish camera with AF and video and with an exceptional lens. I also see the Qs as one of the tech test beds for some of the other cameras in their lineup, although Leica generally isn't afraid to pull the best bits from their cameras and spread the love.

And heck, sometimes I use my M as a point-and-shoot, go figure :cool: .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.