Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Lot's of talk about innovation lately.

This new Lenovo device is something that interests me. Impresses if not inovative certainly a different approach that I am not aware of. Might interest me more if Apple produced something similar.

Wait and see how the Smart Tab reviews for implementation and functionality before I would give any serious considerations.

Thoughts!

Link to Smart Tab: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/smart-tab/

Last edited:
Reactions: SigEp265

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think the word "innovative" is generally overused and misused. It certainly doesn't apply here. The Lenovo Smart Tab is essentially Lenovo's version of an Amazon Fire tablet...but at a higher price, and with Lenovo's track record, less support.

It's good that Amazon is making Alexa available on non-Amazon devices. It is similar to what Google is doing with Google Assistant. I have both Alexa and Google Assistant devices, and I find GA to be the more useful... primarily because I have more devices that support it and it is (relatively speaking) more "open" than Alexa.

As for Apple doing something like this, I have zero interest in it. Given Apple's philosophy and track record, they'll under-produce (compared to the competition), it'll be overly-restrictive, and they'll over-charge for the "privilege".

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I'd consider this since it's not stationary, can transform into a tablet and has better specs than the Amazon Echo Show 2nd edition I was looking at. Amazon Fire HD10 tablet with Show Mode Dock is suppose to be similar but the features aren't on parity and the Show Mode Dock charging mechanism is finicky from reviews I've read.

Dilemma is Amazon ecosystem currently have better hardware offerings than Google ecosystem (Google Home Hub and Lenovo Smart Hub) but Google assistance is better than Alexa. This might be a compromise if it still works.

https://alexamods.com/guide-install-google-assistant-alexa-skill/

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
I'd consider this since it's not stationary, can transform into a tablet and has better specs than the Amazon Echo Show 2nd edition I was looking at. Amazon Fire HD10 tablet with Show Mode Dock is suppose to be similar but the features aren't on parity and the Show Mode Dock charging mechanism is finicky from reviews I've read.

Dilemma is Amazon ecosystem currently have better hardware offerings than Google ecosystem (Google Home Hub and Lenovo Smart Hub) but Google assistance is better than Alexa. This might be a compromise if it still works.

https://alexamods.com/guide-install-google-assistant-alexa-skill/

Supports Google App Store but not sure what Apps would be supported in show mode. Two in One’s the implementation makes or breaks how useful. If Google assistant would function, a home run for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.