Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I ordered the Lenovo Tab Extreme a couple of days ago from Best Buy. It comes with a Folio Case and a Precision Pen. Has anyone else bought one of these? This is my Lenovo product and I honestly don’t know if I should keep it once it gets here or return it for an M2 12.9” iPad Pro or a Samsung Tab S8 Ultra.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
I bought Lenovo 10 the FHD version can't complain for the price you pay its excellent machine and build quality is very good as well. I use it mainly for Newspaper and magazine apps like Magzter and Pressreader. My rating is 8/10

Apr 12, 2023
I ordered the Lenovo Tab Extreme a couple of days ago from Best Buy. It comes with a Folio Case and a Precision Pen. Has anyone else bought one of these? This is my Lenovo product and I honestly don’t know if I should keep it once it gets here or return it for an M2 12.9” iPad Pro or a Samsung Tab S8 Ultra.
Only you can answer that. I am all for saving money and using budget priced devices if they work for you. I have some plans in the near future for this. But, try it for a week, and see what you like and dislike, and go from there.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

I would check the update support matrix for this particular device. I bought a Lenovo P11 plus and I can honestly say it was the absolute worst tablet I have ever bought after buying many Android tablets over the years.

First off Lenovo offered two years of updates with only one OS upgrade. But the actual frequency of updates on the real world was terrible.

What was the worst part of the experience though wasn't even the updates it was the ROM optimization.

The tablet had a decent amount of RAM and decent processor. The screen was beautiful and the speakers were excellent. The hardware was very nice. I really wanted to like this tablet and I paid a good price.

The problem was despite the decent hardware the software was so poorly optimized it felt extremely slow. There were several bugs present in the initial build that affected daily use and even after notifying Lenovo and customer service reps saying it would be fixed in an update. It never was.

I joined the official Lenovo forum for the tablet and many other users had similar problems.

I decided to sell the tablet and luckily got very close to what I originally paid. After that I kept getting notifications from the forum and people continued to have problems and slow updates. After it was updated to Android 12 it bricked several people's tablet and Lenovo had to pull the update.

All of these issues were on a very vanilla Android ROM which should have been easy for Lenovo to update and maintain. It should have run really fast. Having several Moto phones after Lenovo bought Motorola I was very shocked by the experience. As the phones run very well.

I say all of this simply as a warning because of you are just looking at specs and prices Lenovo tablets look really good. You need to also consider the software. What good is great hardware if it runs slows, has persistent bugs and is rarely updated and when it is it causes more problems than it solves?

I really hope Lenovo has improved. I like their hardware.

But if they haven't then you could have a expensive paperweight on your hands that is obsolete way before it should be.

When you get the tablet see how the software runs and that all the settings and features work properly. Check the update matrix and see actually how long it will be supported. If it works well out of the box and will be updated minimum of 3 years then I would keep it. If it has any issues don't expect they will ever be fixed. If you don't mind slow updates to non existent then I would keep it.

Of course only you can determine if it is good for you. I am just sharing my experience in hopes you don't have to go through what I did.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
How have you been finding it?

Only you can answer that. I am all for saving money and using budget priced devices if they work for you. I have some plans in the near future for this. But, try it for a week, and see what you like and dislike, and go from there.
You view the Lenovo Tab Extreme as a budget device???

Ssedwards1

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2023
I've just bought one to replace my Lenovo Duet 5. However, Android 13 sucks on such a large device and the ux and trackpad are awful.

I cannot complain about the hardware, ok other than the small trackpad. Screen is beautiful and the sound is awesome.

But, I would prefer the Duet 5 as it runs chrome os and just works as tablet and larger workstation with a second screen. Yes the Extreme can have a 2nd screen but Android UX just kills the usability.

I'll be returning mine.

PeterDragon50

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021
I've just bought one to replace my Lenovo Duet 5. However, Android 13 sucks on such a large device and the ux and trackpad are awful.

I cannot complain about the hardware, ok other than the small trackpad. Screen is beautiful and the sound is awesome.

But, I would prefer the Duet 5 as it runs chrome os and just works as tablet and larger workstation with a second screen. Yes the Extreme can have a 2nd screen but Android UX just kills the usability.

I'll be returning mine.
I just received my Tab Extreme yesterday. I've got to say that the trackpad is not as bad as you make it out to be, at least not in my opinion. I did have to adjust it in the settings when first setting it up though, as the stock settings were a bit annoying. I really think we need more tablets like these that run Chrome OS or Google needs to add full web browsers to Android.

I've found that switching to PC Mode (wasn't available when you had yours, but is like DeX Mode) and using Kiwi Browser makes for a pretty good experience as it allows you to install actual extensions from then Chrome Web Store and even GitHub.

The battery life is also great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.