Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
just announced.

I was ready to press buy until i saww on AMD cpu and possibly just one SSD m.2 slot....

pi=e=3

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2021
The 11th Gen Tiger-Lake-H Intel chips are pretty great, I wouldn't be wholesale discounting them.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I really love Lenovo Thinkpads. Using X1E for a long while now. 16:10 is great, everything seems nice, but...
No AMD? Sorry Lenovo, it's time to move on to someone else. It's nice to have choices :)

pi=e=3

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2021
I really love Lenovo Thinkpads. Using X1E for a long while now. 16:10 is great, everything seems nice, but...
No AMD? Sorry Lenovo, it's time to move on to someone else. It's nice to have choices :)
Likely they don’t get to make that choice. Intel helped develop a lot of these top end machines, they retain exclusivity.

Also most of the target demographic for X1E’s and P1’s benefit from thunderbolt.

Reactions: ian87w

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
Any alternatives to this you recommend?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Any alternatives to this you recommend?
The question is, what does the AMD processor give you that intel doesn't and how does that line up with your wish list/must have list?

What I mean by that is, if the Thinkpad Extreme gives you everything you want and need except for an AMD processor, what specifically do you need that AMD provides that intel doesn't?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
What I mean by that is, if the Thinkpad Extreme gives you everything you want and need except for an AMD processor, what specifically do you need that AMD provides that intel doesn't?

Less heat. More battery life. Overall a better CPU.
Better question would be, why would I purchase Intel when AMD is ahead at the moment? Only thing I can do is vote with my own wallet.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
The question is, what does the AMD processor give you that intel doesn't and how does that line up with your wish list/must have list?

My Gen 1 heats up quite a bit and battery life lasts an hour when actually doing work on it, not doing a silly 50nit screen with playing some video with all Connecticut stuff turned off etc but actual work.

How are these new 11th Gen?

Reactions: maflynn

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Looks like a great laptop but I will never go for the "Performance Components in a Slim Package" laptop again - like the X1e, XPS 15, and current 16" MBP. These form factors try to ride the thin line of good performance - good portability, but in my experiences sort of fail to do both. They do not offer the cooling needed for these components, and they are still just a little too big at ~4lbs to feel good when throwing it in a bag and running somewhere.

I am going to either get a thickboi laptop with great cooling or an ultraportable with a desktop comptuer for performance. The ONLY other scenario that might be an option is a 14" MacBook Pro depending on the GPU performance and how much RAM is available (my uses of Figma alone regularly use 12 GB, sometimes hitting 20GB when working with high-level prototypes).

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Looks like a great laptop but I will never go for the "Performance Components in a Slim Package" laptop again - like the X1e, XPS 15, and current 16" MBP. These form factors try to ride the thin line of good performance - good portability, but in my experiences sort of fail to do both. They do not offer the cooling needed for these components, and they are still just a little too big at ~4lbs to feel good when throwing it in a bag and running somewhere.

I am going to either get a thickboi laptop with great cooling or an ultraportable with a desktop comptuer for performance. The ONLY other scenario that might be an option is a 14" MacBook Pro depending on the GPU performance and how much RAM is available (my uses of Figma alone regularly use 12 GB, sometimes hitting 20GB when working with high-level prototypes).
I can tell you so much: while my P53 is a much thicker and, you would think, better cooled laptop, it's still way too hot and loud at times. I think it takes a little longer to heat up and get loud, but these Intel CPUs in laptops are just garbage and I really want to use something else after years with these hotplates on my desk.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I can tell you so much: while my P53 is a much thicker and, you would think, better cooled laptop, it's still way too hot and loud at times. I think it takes a little longer to heat up and get loud, but these Intel CPUs in laptops are just garbage and I really want to use something else after years with these hotplates on my desk.

That's a shame on the P53 as I've considered the Lenovo workstations in the past - it just shows that if Lenovo can't properly cool those components with 1" of thickness, there sure as hell is no way that it can cool the same components in half that within the X1e. There are some thick gaming laptops that actually do offer great cooling, though.

I agree with you too - with the 11th gen processors Intel has put out, they've matched or beaten benchmarks of competing AMD and M1 chips. They've accomplished that by increasing the energy consumption and heat even more when those two factors were already issues with their processors. It's a stopgap solution and they have nothing until this gets sorted out.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
@TSE the 11th gen cpus run even hotter? What? That's insane.

The P53 is a fine machine, you can't blame Lenovo here I think. It's cooled well enough but, as I said, loud at times. And it's build like a tank. The battery life is atrocious though. I don't regret going for this one after the disaster of a MacBook Pro I dealt with in 2019, but I really want to get a M2 or whatever it's called if they can deliver.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
@TSE the 11th gen cpus run even hotter? What? That's insane.

The P53 is a fine machine, you can't blame Lenovo here I think. It's cooled well enough but, as I said, loud at times. And it's build like a tank. The battery life is atrocious though. I don't regret going for this one after the disaster of a MacBook Pro I dealt with in 2019, but I really want to get a M2 or whatever it's called if they can deliver.

All indications are that they run about the same or hotter. Despite being built with an improved 10nm process, they used that improvement in performance-per-watt to increase performance instead of run cooler.

Reactions: grmlin

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016

That's because those machines didn't have vapour chamber cooling

Reactions: DeepIn2U

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
didn't Dell also add it to the 17" XPS last year? I could be wrong though

They did. I do not know how well the cooling is in it - I do remember it had an RTX 2060. How much difference does vapor cooling make? Do these laptops that utilize it still throttle?

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
It seems (I could be wrong) that only Razer is employing vapor chambers.
Well it's on this machine now.

I have a 13 inch razer blade stealth with vapour chamber and that stays cool when not gaming.

But the x1 gen 1 doesn't

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
It looks like Lenovo listed the machine a few hours ago. It was “Coming Soon” earlier today, and now there are a few SKUs available. The pricing, though, is absolutely bananas, as Lenovo list pricing usually is. I hope they add their sort of “default” discounts soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.