Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
It took them that long to figure this out? When I got my X1C (6th gen, so more than a year ago) I immediately saw that there is something fishy with TB - none of my long, active TB cables worked, eGPU would get into connect/disconnect cycle. Only short, passive cables was working. I even went to Lenovo website and they removed all long TB cables from sale leaving only the short ones - the active one was still visible in google search. They knew about this for over a year, so I'm not sure about that statement that the issue appears after 6-12 months of use. How can a software problem manifest itself after prolonged use?

I'm surprised the X1E / P1's are not on that list.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It took them that long to figure this out?
Evidently ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My X1E isn't part of the list but I've had a handful of oddities related to USB-C such as connections dropping as noted by the link above. My TB experience however has been positive, I have the EGPU set up and its been working largely problem free, so X1E may indeed not need it

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I'm using X1E (1st gen).
At work I connect it to TB3 dock (OWC), and not a single problem so far.
At home I connect it to one small usb-c hub, and as in previous example, not even one problem with it.

Now I own X1C, but that one my wife uses. She doesn't connect any tb3/usb-c devices into it, so if there is an issue with that device, I'm not aware of it. But I will test it out for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.