Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which of these ultraportables would you prefer?

• Lenovo x1 Nano Gen3

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • HP Elite Dragonfly G4

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Which of these ultraportables would you prefer?

Lenovo x1 Nano Gen3
HP Elite Dragonfly G4 (3:2 is the primary attraction)

Looking for something at or near 2 lb with a matte screen.

engbren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
I am definitely a Lenovo fan but to be fair to HP, I've only ever owned one of their lower end laptops. What are you intending to use the laptop for?

Reactions: ghanwani

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I am definitely a Lenovo fan but to be fair to HP, I've only ever owned one of their lower end laptops. What are you intending to use the laptop for?
Browsing, YouTube, writing, and taxes.

engbren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
Ultimately, either of them will suit your use cases. One of the things that points me towards the Lenovo is their track record with excellent keyboards with very little flex which makes them great for writing.

Reactions: c0ppo and ghanwani

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Ultimately, either of them will suit your use cases. One of the things that points me towards the Lenovo is their track record with excellent keyboards with very little flex which makes them great for writing.
The thing I like about Lenovo is the simplicity of the ordering. The HP has too many display/SSD options and there are not as many reviews of it. The Lenovo has a lot of reviews and the biggest negatives reported tend to be the small trackpad and shallow keyboard.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
T14s gen 3 is more premium and 0.59# lighter at 2.71# compared to T14 gen 3 at 3.30#. It's even lighter than 2.77# x13 gen 3 that has slightly smaller but similar battery size.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
The X13 isn't that much heavier, less than 3lb. It's what I'm using right now (the AMD version) It's a VERY nice machine.

The T14 is definitely heavier.
You have this machine?
Says 28 hours of battery life!

There's also the X1 Carbon which is also pretty light and has a 14" screen. Even has an OLED option for screen, but I think that is Intel too.

Laptop shopping is too confusing, especially in Windows land.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
In this particular case, x13 is x64 while x13s is ARM. They should've called the ARM version x14 or something else to avoid confusion since the 's' suffix is usually reserved for the lighter premium x64 version. Models are in a transitional period from gen 3 to gen 4 so not all options are available. Refer to PSREF for all available options and specs. For example...

https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_T14s_Gen_3_AMD

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
In this particular case, x13 is x64 while x13s is ARM. They should've called the ARM version x14 or something else to avoid confusion since the 's' suffix is usually reserved for the lighter premium x64 version. Models are in a transitional period from gen 3 to gen 4 so not all options are available. Refer to PSREF for all available options and specs. For example...

https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_T14s_Gen_3_AMD
Nice resource.

BTW, do you happen to know the difference between NTSC and sRGB displays? Also do you know if all their displays are low blue light? Same displays say that explicitly but many don’t. Is there a preferred resolution with which windows works better?

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
You have this machine?
Says 28 hours of battery life!

There's also the X1 Carbon which is also pretty light and has a 14" screen. Even has an OLED option for screen, but I think that is Intel too.

Laptop shopping is too confusing, especially in Windows land.
No, just an X13, no s. It has a Ryzen 5 processor and a fan.

I have a Carbon too, about 4 years old and they are really good too. For such light laptops, they really hold up. You can't go wrong getting an OLED screen. :)

Personally, I'll never own a fanless PC again, and probably never a Windows on Arm PC unless that gets a LOT better.

I bought the first M1 MBA, and it didn't fit my usage pattern at all, it throttled WAY too much and my battery life wasn't near advertised.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
No, just an X13, no s. It has a Ryzen 5 processor and a fan.

I have a Carbon too, about 4 years old and they are really good too. For such light laptops, they really hold up. You can't go wrong getting an OLED screen. :)

Personally, I'll never own a fanless PC again, and probably never a Windows on Arm PC unless that gets a LOT better.

I bought the first M1 MBA, and it didn't fit my usage pattern at all, it throttled WAY too much and my battery life wasn't near advertised.
While I’m sure OLED is great, I’m sensitive to PWM at least on iPhone so I would like to see one in person before I buy.

Do they still offer the latest X13 with a Ryzen?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I would pick Nano, simply because of the excellent keyboard (for such a small form factor).
But then again, I would also look for anything with AMD CPU in it. They tend to perform better with much less heat/noise in such a light laptop.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
While I’m sure OLED is great, I’m sensitive to PWM at least on iPhone so I would like to see one in person before I buy.
Makes sense. I don't notice PWM at all unless you get really low on the rate.

Do they still offer the latest X13 with a Ryzen?
Yep.

Ryzen 5 or 7.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I ended up ordering the X1 Nano. Let's see how it goes. Last time I ordered a Windows machine (Vaio SX12) I ended up sending it back because I didn't like the trackpad and the fan noise. I miss macOS. It made my life easy in many ways because of the unix shell, the easy program installation process, and intuitive UI.

engbren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
It looks like a great machine - best of luck with it. I beleive the X series of Thinkpads is generally also Linux certified if you're interested in that path. Only mentioning it due to your comment on the Unix shell. Modern Linux can be configured to be visually very similar to macOS but application install etc is more complex than either macOS or Windows.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
It looks like a great machine - best of luck with it. I beleive the X series of Thinkpads is generally also Linux certified if you're interested in that path. Only mentioning it due to your comment on the Unix shell. Modern Linux can be configured to be visually very similar to macOS but application install etc is more complex than either macOS or Windows.
I was thinking about Linux and based on what I’ve read Mint is very easy to work with so assuming I keep the machine I might give that a try. I would probably use only Linux if it were not for office (ppt, doc, xls) and TurboTax. But then to keep things simply I prefer to just maintain one system/OS. Windows now has a full shell as well from what I understand but I have not yet been able to test drive that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.