Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
FYI - Windows 10 versions of the Yoga Book are starting to show up around $250 as well. I picked one up (in addition to the Android model I already have) a few weeks ago, and have been very impressed with the performance. I can run the following with no lag or issues (real world example)...
  • Edge browser with 5 open tabs
  • Opera Browser with 7 open tabs (one of which is actively playing a YouTube video)
  • MS Word two 10+ page documents with heavy formatting) - full version of Word, not mobile
  • MS OneNote (Full version)
  • MS Mail and Calendar apps
  • File Explorer
  • And, Task Manager, Malwarebytes AV, and iCloud services running in the background
This puts the memory usage at 94%, and the CPU at around 35%, but the machine is very usable (I am typing this on the Yoga Book while all of the above apps and processes are running).

I also like the fact that Windows will continue to get updates on the Yoga Book. Whereas, the Android Yoga Book will likely stay right where it is (i.e. no OS or security updates).

@sracer has done a really nice job of covering the Android version of the Yoga Book, so I just wanted to share some thoughts on the Windows version for anyone interested in this rather unique tablet/ultrabook.
Wow! The handful of reviews that I saw about the Windows version made it sound like it was barely usable. It's great to hear that in real world use it is very usable. Also encouraging to hear that they're now being sold at that lower price.

SukMikeHok

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2018
Hi, @sracer

I wanted to ask you if you have ever tried Microsoft's Word/Excel/Powerpoint app on the device. Just curious, because the tablet is intel based and those apps only work with ARM CPUs.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hi, @sracer

I wanted to ask you if you have ever tried Microsoft's Word/Excel/Powerpoint app on the device. Just curious, because the tablet is intel based and those apps only work with ARM CPUs.
Yes I have them installed and use them on the Yoga Book. Microsoft often has confusing, contradictory, or flat-out wrong information posted regarding MS Office on different platforms, so it doesn't surprise me if they have an "ARM only" disclaimer for the Android versions.

They work well on the Yoga Book, but are EXTREMELY limited in function. Thankfully, I can use the web version (which is much more feature rich) on the YB for those times when I need the additional function.

Reactions: kazmac

Austin Atchley

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2018
hey guys, if i a yoga book to take notes on during lectures, is there anyway to get those notes to my MacBook Pro? and if so should I get the windows or android one?
Thanks in advance.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Android is dead on Tablets if you're not Samsung.

I was looking for something with a 12" screen. It seems that the best you can get is something with Android 5 on it. In the past Samsung came out with a new pad every month or so. Pads seem to fade into a niche.

This said, currently I am looking into flip notebooks with touch screen. Will be Windows 10 and at least 12", if not 13" or more. Plenty of choices.

VR46

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2016
London
I was looking for something with a 12" screen. It seems that the best you can get is something with Android 5 on it. In the past Samsung came out with a new pad every month or so. Pads seem to fade into a niche.

This said, currently I am looking into flip notebooks with touch screen. Will be Windows 10 and at least 12", if not 13" or more. Plenty of choices.

Have you looked at the Surface range?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/search/result.aspx?q=surface

They have some 12" and 13.5" screened products/options from memory. Won't be as cheap as the majority of flip notebooks though but the detachable keyboard would probably be a useful benefit.

Last edited:

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Have you looked at the Surface range?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/search/result.aspx?q=surface

They have some 12" and 13.5" screened products/options from memory. Won't be as cheap as the majority of flip notebooks though but the detachable keyboard would probably be a useful benefit.

We are talking some major price up here. But if money doesn't matter I would go for a surface. Unfortunately money does matter.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
hey guys, if i a yoga book to take notes on during lectures, is there anyway to get those notes to my MacBook Pro? and if so should I get the windows or android one?
Thanks in advance.
It depends upon how you are taking notes on the Yoga Book. I take notes on OneNote and Google Keep on my YB (Android) and can access them on every other device I own.

The 2nd gen Yoga Book looks amazing and should Lenovo offer a Chrome OS version, I'd be all over it. I've shifted most of my Yoga Book usage over to the Google Pixelbook which has been pretty spectacular so far. (it's still possible to find them on sale, so I would recommend one)

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
A brief update... after sitting in my gear cabinet since my last post, I decided to reset the Yoga Book back to factory and install the few apps that I regularly used on it. The result: buttery smooth, responsive, and stable. If anyone else has been experiencing quirkiness, you might want to try a factory reset.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
One of the things that I like best about the Yoga Book is the Halo keyboard. As a touch-typist and a software developer for 40 years, I find mechanical keyboards to be laborious to type on. (I know they're all the rage with the kids these days). But I find the Halo keyboard to be enjoyable to use.

When using something like OneNote, it is nice to be able to be typing text and when the need arises to draw a diagram, simply tap the stylus button. This converts the keyboard to a Wacom digitizer allowing me to draw while maintaining the same "laptop" orientation. When finished drawing, tap the stylus button again and continue typing.

And because the Yoga Book supports using the stylus directly on the screen (minus pressure sensitivity and palm rejection) I'll sometimes just use the stylus directly on the screen in this orientation. (mostly to circle or highlight text)

20190207_091134_HDR.jpg 20190207_091146_HDR.jpg

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
After performing that reset back in Feb, the YB has been running smooth as butter. All other tablets w/keyboard covers/cases feel clunky by comparison.

I loaded it up with the widescreen version of season 1 of Lost In Space and the 50th anniversary soundtrack and this LIS wallpaper. Now to set the notification sound to, "Danger, Will Robinson!" :D

YB.jpg

It's still going strong, but I'm disappointed that there is nothing like it... maybe the rumors of a Microsoft Surface version of this will be true.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
FYI - Windows 10 versions of the Yoga Book are starting to show up around $250 as well. I picked one up (in addition to the Android model I already have) a few weeks ago...

May I ask where you can find one this cheap? I’ve been wanting one of these for quite some time. But the cheapest I’ve seen was $550 from BestBuy’s ebay store during the Memorial Day weekend.
[doublepost=1559911418][/doublepost]
Wow! The handful of reviews that I saw about the Windows version made it sound like it was barely usable.

I understand and agree with your comment above. But I believe that the reviews of the Windows on Snapdragon (WOS) computers are grossly unfair.

Each review that I've read wants to compare a WOS computer to a laptop running Windows 10 Pro on an Intel Core i5. If your computing needs required an Intel Core i5 then you need a laptop with an Intel Core i5 and it is going to have to be large enough to accomodate a headsink and fan. (I understand that some of the latest Intel Core i5 laptops don't have fans, but it limits performance.)

These new WOS computers are better compared to iPads than to Intel Core i5 laptops. Yes, there are people who have power mobile computing needs and those people need either MacBook Pros or Windows 10 Pro laptops with a either an Intel Core i5, i7 or i9. But there is also a group of people who just need light mobile computing. For them an iPad or a WOS computer would be ideal.

Reactions: kazmac and sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
May I ask where you can find one this cheap? I’ve been wanting one of these for quite some time. But the cheapest I’ve seen was $550 from BestBuy’s ebay store during the Memorial Day weekend.
Unfortunately, those sales are long gone. There were a handful of liquidators that appear to have snagged the remainder of Lenovo's stock (of both Android and Windows versions). They were selling them for $250-$275. I checked eBay yesterday hoping that I could get a new Windows model for a similar price. New ones sells for a MINIMUM of $500. There are only a handful of refurbs that sell for under $500.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It's been a while but I wanted to update everyone as to the latest escapades with this device...

I have so many devices that it takes a while before one comes back into "rotation". I took the plunge and unlocked the bootloader and rooted the Yoga Book. This allowed me to completely remove the bloatware that I wanted removed (like MS Office, SyncIt, and a few other Lenovo-specific apps).

Performance is better than ever... so is stability.

It's like a brand new device and so another round of tweaking, testing, and experimenting.

Here's a link to instructions for rooting...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.