Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4MacLeopard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
Hi All this is my first post. I am really worried I have lost all my data.

The iBook G4 is superb, and OSX has been a welcome change from Windows and Linux. However, my paranoia about data theft has come back to bite me and I can't gain access to my old home folder. I read online that one solution is to run whatever commands I ran in single user mode to make the Mac start up as for the first time and create a new admin account. I then could not use this to change the password for the original encrypted admin account (as you would hope), but I then read that all I had to do in the first place was get the password wrong three times and then it would allow me to use the master password to change it, so I tried this. Here's what I don't understand. If I put in the wrong master password, it shakes and says so. If I put in the right master password, it rolls onto the next menu where you are requested to make a new password, twice. I do this, and it fails to accept any new password and just shakes as though I am trying to log in with an invalid password. The only feasible explanation I have read is that the data needs de-encrypting to allow this to work, thus there is not enough space on the hard drive, but I would have thought there would be an appropriate GUI splash screen to tell me this.

I have also tried changing it from within the new admin account, and it says something about a CSSM_MEMORY_ERROR, only if I get the right master password, and also on subsequent deliberate wrong passwords after the right one has caused this. Has anybody ever seen anything like this or know what the matter could be?

Many thanks,

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.