Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frank the Tank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
Hi all,

Has there been any mention about Leopard and games/games performance/related features? I constantly hear about the new productivity features, but *nothing* about gaming. I know OS X is not a mainstream gaming platform, obviously, though I seem to remember past OS updates touting faster driver performance, etc...

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
It's my understanding that new OpenGL optimizations in 10.5 should in general provide better gaming performance than 10.4 .

icecone

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
yup

OpenGL Improvements

OpenGL is the industry-standard API for developing portable, interactive 2D and 3D applications. Mac OS X has supported OpenGL from the outset and in Leopard it supports the latest OpenGL 2.1 specification which adds pixel buffer objects, color managed texture images in the sRGB color space, and improvements in the shader programming API.

Leopard also provides a dramatic increase in OpenGL performance by offloading CPU-based processing onto another thread which can then run on a separate CPU core feeding the GPU. This can increase, or in some cases, approach double the performance of OpenGL-based applications.

I'm really interested in knowing if it actually helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.